6 Crime/Mystery Shows To Binge Watch This Summer

Spend your summer watching these great shows!

124

Along with my love for Pakistani and Indian dramas and films, one of my other weaknesses in television are mystery and crime programs. These make for an entertaining watch during any down time that you might have. A lot of these programs, while centered around a single theme, emphasize upon different elements of crime and puzzles, which is what makes them unique. Now, of course, a lot of these are dramatizations and not always 100% realistic, but it is the idea that is most interesting. So let me take you through some great programs to watch this summer!

Crossing Jordan

This show is engaging not just because of the amazing characters (mine being Jordan, played by Jill Hennessy) but also because of the use of forensic pathology to solve crimes. There is a lot of focus on the victims in order to solve the crime, and it isn’t detectives or police who are involved as much as it is the team of forensic pathologists. The earlier seasons show a lot of role-playing in order to pinpoint the identity of the killer, which was a unique twist. The method of crime solving and the complex characters are just part of what makes this show so much fun to watch!

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

By far one of my all-time favorite shows, this program is centered mainly on sexual assault and homicides. Not only are a lot of the stories “ripped from the headlines”, but the show itself focuses a lot on the legal angle of these criminal acts, and raises awareness about rape, domestic violence, abuse, and other serious issues that plague our society. Although I do feel that the show hasn’t been as good since Christopher Meloni left the show at the end of season 12, I must say that the writers have still managed to fill the hole left by his absence with engaging episodes and plot twists. And obviously many viewers agree since it has been renewed for an 18th season. The character development and interesting storylines for the episodes, along with the empathy and humanity exhibited in them makes this program a must watch!

Criminal Minds

This program focuses on the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia, and how they use behavioral science to solve crimes and capture criminals, usually serial killers. It focuses on the behavioral aspect of violent crime, which, as a psych major, I definitely find fascinating. Now while the show is definitely dramatized, I must say that the witty banter between Morgan and Garcia, Reid's intelligence, and the team's effectiveness are just some of the things that make this program so enjoyable. I also love that they don't always show the perpetrators of the crimes as monsters but as sympathetic criminals, who had a very difficult hand dealt to them. It basically emphasizes that such pasts don't absolve them of their crimes but that it is what it is, and at the end of the day this is what is used to find them. Another favorite show!

CSI: Miami

I know, I know, the show is super clichéd, what with David Caruso’s one-liners (which I did find redundant, even though I personally found his protective and calm nature along with his “hero” persona a bit refreshing and interesting) and the fact that it shows a lot of far-fetched motives for crimes, plus it shows more of the supposed high-end glamour of police work. However, I liked that it emphasized upon forensic science to solve crimes, showing new techniques and ways of gathering evidence. It was much more science-based, which gave it a unique edge for a crime show.

Murder, She Wrote

The other shows on this list can be a bit graphic, but "Murder, She Wrote" is clean and very intriguing. I actually got into it because of my mother, since she used to watch it regularly! Taking place in the 1980s and 1990s, the show had a successful run of 12 seasons. Starring the extremely talented Angela Lansbury, this show focuses on a woman who writes mystery stories and how she solves homicides in real life. The best part of this program is how it uses plot twists and deception to make what look like supposedly clear-cut murder cases and accidental deaths into actual mysteries. Angela Lansbury truly outdid herself in this series, making it one of my all-time favorites!

House

While not a police or crime drama, this program does have some similar traits. The mysterious medical ailments that this brilliant doctor version of Sherlock Holmes solves involve plenty of detective work and can keep you on the edge of your seat. Dr. House is an addict with a non-existent bedside manner whose ability for solving difficult medical cases is world-famous. The character development is also well done and captivating, making us think a lot about certain deep questions. True, many of the cases are extremely rare and very dramatized, but that doesn’t stop it from being fun to watch!

All of these programs involve different aspects of mystery and crime, which is sure to get your brain working. While not necessarily accurate and often dramatized, these shows do have excellent stories and they can really make you think about different issues in our society that we need to focus on. So with summer around the corner, get ready to park yourself on the couch for a much-needed Netflix marathon!