6 Benefits Of Driving Solo

6 Benefits Of Driving Solo

No shotgun rider required.
1125

Driving has its many perks, especially for a young adult eager to hit the road. On one hand, it’s a rite of passage. The minute you’re handed your license, the world seems like an entirely new outlet for opportunities. The freedom and access to nearly anything your heart desires leaves you in awe. Yet, with this great power comes great responsibility. It may sound like a dream from the movies and an opportunity to jam out with friends over the course of a long joyride, but before putting your loved ones at risk, spend some time driving in solitude -- you might just find yourself noticing these advantages.

1) Take in the scenery

Although it’s extremely important to keep your eyes on the road at all times, you might come across a breath-taking sunset in a parking lot or at a stop light. Don’t miss out on these little treasures that nature has to offer.

2) So you’ve got yourself a bad habit...

According poet, Ovid, “Nothing is stronger than a habit.” What better way to resolve bad driving habits than noticing them on your own? With possible backseat drivers and other stressors that passengers carry into the vehicle, it’s hard to realize how you act on the road. Make time for yourself, not only for your sake, but for the safety of neighboring cars as well. From a lead foot, to a sloppy turn signal, to even the guilty phone addict, one slip can take a life.

3) Enjoy the lyrics

The stress and anxiety that the past few weeks have bombarded me with certainly left me shaken up. Now with a stress free month before my very eyes, I can finally take the time to explore and enjoy music on the radio as I drive. Without any worries, I can appreciate the lyrics without any other opinions.

4) Learn the ways of the road

I’ve been a legal driver for roughly two years now and although I drive just about everywhere I need to go, I’m still nervous to catch an appointment or meet someone for lunch without my GPS blessing me with its assistance. While your alone in the driver’s seat, scan the highway signs and nearest exits. Use that lovely, knowledgeable brain of yours! It really does wonders. Relying too heavily on technology just might get us all in trouble someday.

5) Friendly bonding time

Get acquainted with the vehicle you could possibly be driving for the next 20 years. Learn how he/she/it eases into a turn, or the effectiveness of the brakes. It may take some time to adjust but trust me, the benefits are well worth it. Just like people, all cars are different.

6) Take matters into your own hands

Above all else, remember that driving is a privilege, not a right. To feel the effects of an invigorating driving experience, first make some time for yourself. Feel completely confident and in-control in your trusty steed before inviting others along for the ride. Whether you're making a quick stop to the gas station or a long haul to grandma’s house, always stay safe and above the influence. Enjoy the drive!

Cover Image Credit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjhtO385ObJAhVC5yYKHcwoDvAQjB0IBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjasonbandura.com%2Ftag%2Fworship-2%2F&psig=AFQjCNEhuizHRUoNmzBWK6O_mrhZ1R7QqA&ust=1450575450633489