59 Thoughts I Had Watching 'Shameless' Season Four

Full of twists, turns, and overall WTF moments, season four of Shameless came in strong.
2160

Though its very name would give you a clue, Shameless continues to blow my mind. This season found us with some surprising character developments. It also featured a lot of new characters who were all pretty great though at first seemed annoying.

Storylines were also pretty shocking. The obvious one being about Fiona and some would say her character was ruined this season. But I would also make the case that others' stories were surprising as well like Frank's illness, Debbie and Carl's pursuit of romantic partners, and Ian's story arch was particularly noteworthy. Overall, I thought it was a pretty satisfying season and really advanced a lot of the characters and their stories. So, with that let's find out what made this season so special:

1. What I feel like is even more irritating from watching Debbie and Carl as teenagers is how they force me to remember how horrible I was as a teenager.

2. I’m kind of glad to see Lip struggle at college. It’s what he gets for being such an asshole last season.

3. Gosh, we are not worthy of Mike on our screens.

4. Seeing the peer pressure on Debbie at such a young age makes me so sad.

5. Carl has good intentions, but no way does Fiona or Lip owe Frank a liver.

6. Kev telling the entire hospital he has a magic penis is the hardest I have laughed out loud in the longest time.

7. The girl who told Lip off is everything I have wanted to tell him so far this season.

8. Fiona can’t stand Mike’s no lying rule, really? Cause your last relationship worked out so well being comprised of entirely lies?

9. Amanda is so irritating. She's no Karen, but she's no Sheila.

10. Unpopular opinion: I like Sammi. She’s what Frank could be if he was there for his kids. It makes you wonder how charming and funny Frank can be despite his awfulness.

11. Sheila’s new dating life is hilarious. I’m so on board with her to get out there.

12. Is it possible Drunk Mike is even more adorable than regular Mike?

13. Three episodes in and Fiona is the worst. Great.

14. That scene with Lip walking through everyone freezing during the flash mob was so eerie. Amazing. Spot on.

15. Really Fiona on the L? That’s just disgusting. Though, it probably happens all the time.

16. Lip’s shirt is a work of art.

17. Where the hell is Ian? I’m starting to forget what he looks like.

18. I seriously feel like Mickey keeps getting worse. Smashing mirrors, running a prostitution ring, he’s not a real charmer guys.

19. Oh my gosh, Lip is on crack with him being fine if Mandy is pregnant. I don’t have time for this ridiculousness!

20. Kev’s conversation with Lip getting his shit together and realizing how he can make something for himself outside of his neighborhood was wonderful. Wake up, sugarplum and get in school!

21. Despite it being karma for his behavior last season, I do like how see with Lip the struggles of being a college student today. It can be isolating, hard to make friends, and to multitask just to function without your family having a lot of problems is difficult enough.

22. OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS. ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SERIOUS? HOW HAS THIS BECOME THE SHOW? FIONA IS SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER THAN THIS. I WAS ROOTING FOR YOU. WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU.

23. It’s always Liam. Literally, every plot line he is put in danger. Can the poor thing catch a break?

24. This whole storyline is bananas, but it brought out a great conversation between Vee and Kev of how they’ll be as parents. I love that.

25. Was it not Fiona’s fault? I’m kind of thinking it was.

26. Lip now being the head of the family while still balancing college is astounding to me. I’m really developing a major respect for him this season.

27. Watching Frank die would seem nice or at least deserving, but it is pretty painful.

28. When Sheila left everything to go be with those kids, I melted. She continues to be the best character on this show.

29. Mike bailing Fiona out just proves how was the best boyfriend Fiona was ever going to have.

30. Vee is a warrior. Her handling the possibility of having four children and then losing one is unimaginable. She is amazing.

31. So, Ian is no longer Ian and Fiona has gone completely off the deep end. Loving this season.

32. The scene between Sammi and Frank where she needs to help him bathe was so heartbreaking. I can’t imagine how hard that is to have to rely on your child like that. Especially Sammi’s willingness to take care of Frank so much is endurance. I have major respect for her. I’m all in on Sammi.

33. If Regina King can’t make Fiona get her shit together, then Fiona’s a lost cause.

34. Okay, I’m starting to like Mickey. Him taking care of Ian is so sweet and much needed right now.

35. As much as I miss Debbie and Fiona’s relationship, I do like the connection between Sammi and Debbie.

36. Oh my gosh, Mickey finally said he and Ian are together. Maybe things are looking up for him.

37. Chuckie is such an underrated character. I hope we see more of this kid.

38. Okay, I was totally wrong. Amanda is great and she is exactly what Lip needs. If anyone can be with Lip, I’m happy it’s her.

39. And then I don’t like Mickey when he’s not being there for his kid.

40. Oh my gosh, Bonnie and Carl are so cute!

41. Fiona, seriously? I thought this was a flashback! Ugh. Girl, I thought you had your Orange is the New Black experience. Get your shit together!

42. Oh my gosh, Fiona missed Kev and Vee at the hospital. Worst possible timing.

43. Sammi and Sheila working in cahoots may be my new favorite dynamic this season.

44. Emily is so adorable. My gosh, every child on this show is the best.

45. Oh my gosh, Debbie no. My poor Debbie. She was so confident and happy and then to have that all crumble down. People suck. Being a teenager sucks.

46. That’s right surprise social worker, Lip is the best.

47. Oh my gosh, the scenes where Frank thought Emily was a young Fiona was heartbreaking. Come to think of it, I feel like they haven’t had any scenes together this season. They’ll never have a serious conversation like this where Frank admits he screwed up and he cares so much about her.

48. OH MY GOSH MICKEY CAME OUT OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING YAY WAY TO GO MICKEY!

49. It sucks so bad that this older guy is the best friend Debbie has. I just wish he wasn’t so old because he’s so sweet. When he says he would be proud to take her to the dance, like kill me why don’t you?

50. I legit believed Lip chose money over Amanda and was about to lose all respect for Lip. Thank goodness, they were in cahoots this whole time. I love them so much!

51. Sammi and Sheila’s dynamic continues to be amazing when they fight over Frank.

52. I loved the scene with Kev and the gang at the bar of how they don’t give a shit Mickey is gay. So great.

53. Oh my gosh, Lip in a suit. This is too much.

54. Carl and Debbie realizing how much they’ve needed Fiona and ignored her this entire season is amazing how they can be so self-aware. I’ve missed them getting along with her.

55. I want better for Sheila. I feel like justice for Sheila needs to be a thing. She deserves all of the children in the world and a husband who realizes her amazingness. When will the rest of the characters realize this?

56. The scenes between Fiona and Lip this season have been great. From Fiona on the phone with him in jail, Lip picking her up in the car after she broke her parole, and then the scene with them on the porch smoking together. This has been some of the best acting in the entire series.

57. Poor Ian and Mickey. I love how Mickey has become so protective of him, but Ian needs help. I really hope we see Mickey help him get better. I want them to help each other get better.

58. The last scene with Frank and Carl was beautiful. Him still kicking and feeling a sense of righteousness was pretty lovely.

59. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THAT’S HOW IT ENDS? ON A CLIFFHANGER OF WHEN WILL JIMMY-STEVE AND NOW NEW NAME JACK JAKE JERK RETURN. NOOOOOOOOOOO. I DON’T CARE WHAT YOUR NAME IS STAY AWAY FROM FIONA FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.