53 Things Anyone With Too Many Roommates Knows To Be True

"You Live With HOW Many People??"

856

1. Since you have more people under one roof than the average home, you gotta be organized.

2. Like, really organized.

3. Making sure everyone gets a turn to take a shower takes a lot of effort.4. You’ve had to resort back to using shower caddies because there isn’t enough room in the shower to leave everyone’s stuff.

5. The trash gets taken out basically every day.6. Someone will learn something horrible, like that you’re supposed to be washing your sheets weekly or drinking a certain amount of water a day, and suddenly everyone will be completely obsessed with it together, then drop it in a week.

7. Your food tastes will change since everyone eats so differently, which will force you to try many new foods.

8. Along with eating new foods, you’ll pick up what my household calls “sympathy eating”. This is seeing someone eating a certain food and then craving it, like when one person makes popcorn and suddenly you have six people in the living room all eating their own bag.

9. Your place is so large because it has to fit so many people that visitors constantly joke “how do you not get lost?”.

10. Your house is so large, in fact, that sometimes you try to invite a friend over only to find out that they’re already at your place and you didn’t even know.11. It’s so large that you have more than one living room, kitchen, or bathroom.

12. This is because your house is usually sold as a duplex, or to sororities/fraternities.

13. You sometimes feel like you’re back living in the dorms because friends are everywhere and you may have established quiet hours.

14. Coming home to any less than three people is grounds to ask “where is everyone?”.15. You’ll never need to buy anything you don’t own - between the crazy amount of people living in your home, you can borrow practically anything from someone.

16. Including clothes - the outfit options are endless.

17. Your house collectively owns way too many kitchen appliances because people bought the same ones before you all moved in together. Where can one find three panini makers, four blenders, and seventy forks? Your house.

18. Everyone who finds out how many people you live with is shocked, and asks “how can you fit that many people under one roof??”

19. The amount of naturally shedded hair floating around the house is insane.

20. Cleaning up after a party never takes long, because you have so many hands working at the same time.

21. Speaking of having a party, it’s super easy to throw one because together you have tons of friends between you all and enough eyes to keep it under control.

22. All of your roommates are sick 24/7, because once one person gets sick they infect everyone. By the time it’s gone completely around, it just comes right back to the first person and everyone is sick from Fall-Spring.

23. Going out to eat together requires a reservation many hours ahead and possibly a private dining room.

24. Group Halloween costumes are too easy and you’ll never have to figure out a solo costume, because someone will always be down to pair up with you.

25. You’ll never have to do anything alone, because someone will always be around to get food, go workout, or do homework.

26. Roommate meetings will never take less than an hour, and usually take much longer than that.

27. Roommate meetings often have to be held at strange times such as one AM on a Tuesday, due to conflicting schedules.

28. Any holiday or seasonal celebration gets taken to the next level.29. Like, everyone in your house carving pumpkins means ten pumpkins instead of the normal four, so you have pumpkin guts for days. This year alone my roommates and I made pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cupcakes, and many rounds of pumpkin seeds...and still have a ton of guts left over.

30. If your house decides you aren’t going out that weekend it affects your friend group greatly, because half the people you know live in your home.

31. The amount of people in your house at any given time is nuts because most people generally have a significant other over, friends from out of town visiting, or parents crashing on the couch.

32.The amount of lame snapchats you have of your roommates doing nothing is infinite, because every night is a hangout session when there’s so many of you.

33. The sink is always full of dishes because there’s just so many people sharing the same kitchen.

34. Getting a turn at the laundry machine can be an all - out war.

35. Finding a place and time that everyone can take a roomie pic is so difficult with everyone’s conflicting schedules that you don’t have a picture of everyone, but you have many pictures that are “all of my roommates except three”, or something along those lines.

36. No one except you really knows who even lives in your home, because there are so many that it’s tough to keep track. Often friends or parents will refer to a close friend of your house that doesn’t live with you as your roommate, and you’ll just go along with it.

37. Like, literally no one can name everyone living in your home.

38. In fact, your landlords may not even know some of their own tenants.

39. Getting homework done in your home is impossible because someone always will have a night off and want to hang out.

40. Movie nights require three couches, minimum.

41. Any casual night can turn into a party because there’s enough of you - once one person opens a beer, it generally just takes off from there.

42. The same thing seems to happen with food...if someone’s ordering Chinese or a pizza, it just makes sense to have everyone join in and get free delivery.

43. Dance parties are a frequent occurrence, as are late night deep talks.

44. People often forget your name but know you’re in the huge group of roommates, so they refer to you by your house’s nickname.

45. Wifi, cleaning supplies, etc. are super cheap because instead of splitting the cost between three or four roommates, you’re splitting it between double that.

46. You’ve probably never showered alone because someone always needs to use the bathroom while you’re in there.

47. There’s always too much food around because someone made a huge dish and wanted to share.

48. Making plans for the night is often so stressful that you decide to just stay in or go get food instead.

49. Asking “can my roommates come” when you get invited somewhere is more of a loaded question than it would be for most people.

50. Figuring out who still needs to pay rent is pretty much rocket science.

51. Actually, the group chat is just constantly going off because something is always going on.

52. You know that no matter how crazy your roommates make you, or how much easier it would be to just live with a couple friends, you wouldn’t want your living situation to be any other way. You love your chaotic roommates and having your house be a zoo, and look forward to coming home to a happy place every night. Most of all…

53. You know there’s no such thing as having too many roommates!