500 Words On Orlando

500 Words On Orlando

Trying to make sense of it all.

7
500 Words On Orlando
Emily Ferrick

Going into the week I knew I wanted to write a piece on Orlando, but I didn't know how to write about something I'm not quite sure I even understand. It's hard to articulate how you feel about something when you're not even sure you get what's going on. Like many of you, I watched the tragedy play out on social media and news stations. I saw the shooter's face plastered on television screens, and started asking myself questions I can't answer.

I find myself wondering why I'm growing up in a world that sometimes really scares me. I'm thinking about what I should say when my 11-year-old sister asks me about it. I'm thinking about how I don't want my kids to grow up in a world where such evil is so routinely displayed. Because as humans we are naturally inclined to analyze every situation, to ask ourselves questions we know we don't know the answers to, and to discover the details. We want to know why it happened, we want to know where it happened, and we want to know who did it. Instead of giving this man the attention he certainly does not deserve, I want to urge you to try and look past the evil and acknowledge all of the good, kind things people are doing to help to ease the pain of this senseless loss of beautiful, innocent life. While I don't think I truly understand how such horrible, evil things happen, I do understand that for all of the evil in the world, there is even more good that deserves our time and appreciation.

For all of these questions, and all of these thoughts, I remind myself to stay grounded on the thought that there is good, too. Thousands of people lined up to donate blood, and millions of dollars are being donated to the OneOrlando fund. People around the world are praying and hoping that this will be the last time they turn on their TV to such tragedy. Wands are being raised at Universal's Harry Potter World, where a victim was an employee, and therapy dogs flew in all the way from Chicago to comfort victims. Tributes are being made, cards are being sent, and free flights are being offered to family members. So many people are doing what they can. So much love is still making its way to those who need it most.

Humanity is not perfect. We know that. We see it all the time. What I want to remind you is that in the wake of evil, we have to expose all of the good within humanity. Smile at a stranger and tell those you care about you love them. The bad things in our world must not outweigh all of the good, let's not let it.