500 Words On My First Car

500 Words On My First Car

From venting sessions to dance parties, this car has seen it all

20
500 Words On My First Car
Lifestar Driving School

I got my first car almost three years ago. There was so much fun and freedom associated with having your own car and I was so excited to finally have one. I had no idea that I was getting one and I pulled in to see this car with a sign that said "Annie's New Car." I could've cried. I had gotten this new space that was going to be my own and I'd be able to sing as loud as I wanted to and talk to myself and always know what my ride to school/rehearsal/work was going to be.

It sounds strange, but cars have a weird way of becoming almost like a friend or family member. When I got my car, I got this feeling and we named her Sandy. Sandy is a 2000 Toyota Camry. She isn't perfect, she's got dings and dents, but she is mine. Looking back, Sandy has been one of the most constant things in my life. From junior year to now, so much has changed, and it's crazy how many memories take place in that little car.

For being an "old" car, my Sandy is pretty dependable. And when things go wrong, they always seem to make for the best stories. One time, there was water under my hood or something and the car got too hot and smoke/steam started pouring out from under my hood. I was on my way to my high school and I was freaking out. When I got to the parking lot, I used whatever car knowledge I'd gained from my dad to try and figure it out. I flung the hood up to let the smoke/steam out and I tried to investigate. I looked at my battery and screamed, "Oh crap, the battery looks like it's bleeding!"

Now, let me explain. My dad is a car guy and knows far more than I do about cars, so he put this stuff on the battery to prevent it from corroding. I hadn't ever really noticed it before, so it freaked me out and I called my dad in tears talking about how my car was bleeding or someone had put strawberry jelly on it. Needless to say, I was wrong and it's one of the stories my family likes to bring up to laugh about.

I'm so thankful for all of the memories that my car has helped to create. From driving to surprise people to driving around during hard times and just letting it all out. I had no idea that that small gold car would turn into the place where my friends and I would pour our hearts out or try to dance like fools with the seat belts on. I didn't know that I would get this sense of home and comfort from just sitting in those old seats. That car has seen me through some of the best and worst days of my life, and I'm thankful for that.

So, cheers to many more years and trips with that little gold car.