50 Tips for Incoming Freshman

50 Tips for Incoming Freshman

Studying: the act of texting, watching Netflix and eating with an open textbook nearby.

70
50 Tips for Incoming Freshman
Breanna Vogel

Starting your freshman year of college is so fun and exciting. You may have moved hours away from home, or maybe you are attending college in your home town, but no matter where you go, going to college is an exciting experience for everyone if you make it. But, there can be many struggles and challenges that come with becoming an adult and going to college. Here are some things that I think everyone should know before they go to college:

1. Less is more.

2. Always go to class.

3. Try new things.

4. Treat yourself after a long day with desserts.

5. Somedays you need to watch Netflix all day.

6. Study for tests more than the night before.

7. Don't be afraid to go to a club meeting.

8. Eat breakfast before your 8 a.m.

9. Call your parents, they miss you.

10. Spend time with your grandparents when you are home.

11. Try out Greek Life recruitment.

12. Bring a water bottle and drink plenty of water.

13. Get a really soft comfy blanket for when you crawl into bed after a long day.

14. Appreciate home cooked meals while you can.

15. Keep your door open, it is a great way to socialize.

16. Live in a hall with like majors if you can.

17. Explore the town you're in.

18. Try to pay off your unsubsidized loans while you are in school, they are accumulating interest.

19. No one cares what you look like in class.

20. You will meet hundreds of people, your friends the first week may not be your friends the last week of school.

21. Use the resources your school provides. Many schools have extra help everywhere, you just have to take it.

22. Do not be afraid of your professors, they will help you if you ask.

23. Crocs make great shower shoes.

24. Pee before you climb up into your lofted bunk.

25. Volunteer at the local animal shelter, it will help you get your dog or cat fix while you are away from your own pets.

26. You will have friends if you do not party.

27. Work on homework before it is due.

28. Be the friend you want someone to be to you.

29. Be a good neighbor, do not be super loud in your dorm room.

30. When professors say that you should spend two hours outside of class studying for every hour in class, they are so right.

31. Find yourself before you find a significant other.

32. Take advantage of student discounts, your wallet will thank you later!

33. Sporting events are a sure way for you to take pride in your school.

34. Get a planner and use it!

35. Actually read the syllabi you get from your professors.

36. Make an effort to get a good amount of sleep every night.

37. Use your lunch breaks to catch up with friends while grabbing something to eat.

38. Back to back classes are usually nicer than having them spread through out the whole day.

39. Write down your goals somewhere where you can look at them everyday.

40. Hold true to your values and morals.

41. Learn to say no.

42. Take time to adventure and relax.

43. Always back your laptop charger no matter where you go.

44. Use Chegg or Amazon to buy/rent your books because it will be way cheaper.

45. Work your butt off during semester break so you do not have to work as hard during the school year.

46. Pair up with someone in class to study with and work on homework together. It is so great to have someone to turn to when you have questions and vise versa.

47. You will get a crummy grade on a test, and no it is not the end of the world.

48. Try to get leadership positions dealing with things you are interested in, it will help with getting jobs and internships.

49. Be kind to your roommate, you never know when you'll be sick wishing someone would make you soup and get you medicine.

50. College is 100 percent what you make of it. You can choose to make it the best four years of your life, or you can sit back and watch everyone else have all the fun.