50 Thoughts On Cashiering

50 Thoughts On Cashiering

The ups and downs of working in retail.

40
50 Thoughts On Cashiering
Canadian Couponing

My first job was working as a cashier, I learned a lot about the job, other people, and more. Seeing many of my friends have similar jobs, I wrote this in hopes that it's at least slightly relatable. I have come to enjoy cashiering, so don't take this article the wrong way or think that I hate everything about it. That is far from it's intention.

So, here are 50 thoughts and occasions I have had while being a cashier.

1. “Hi, did you find everything okay?”

2. Even if it is just routine to ask how your shopping experience was, it’s not polite to disregard what I just said. But it’s fine.

3. If you answered yes to my original question, awesome. I’m glad to hear it.

4. I will now proceed to ask you a few more questions that I am forced to ask in order to make this retail store run smoothly.

5. If you answered no, and you are still bitter about not finding a certain item, I will gladly call someone over to help with your problem, they’ll know more than I will.

6. Seriously, let me call over to Electronics and double check if we are out of the tablet you are looking for. One moment.

7. *Insert awkward phone call to said department in which I can’t word what I’m trying to say correctly but I really need help finding something, I just suck at talking*

8. We are out, sorry. But, you may not be out of luck. Maybe customer service can find your tablet at a different store, but that is unfortunately not part of my cashiering job.

9. Thank you for the light chit chat as I ring up your items, it is a lot better than awkward silence.

10. I would try to fill the awkward silence with light conversation, but I’m too introverted to initiate that.

11. Wow, this is a really cute shirt. I’ll make note to buy this for myself later.

12. I know there are a lot of questions on the pin pad, don’t have to tell me twice.

13. (In reality, there are only, like, three questions to answer.)

14. If you have children with you while you are in my aisle, that’s even better--and I genuinely mean that.

15. I’ll like you more and would most likely seem happier because kids are my favorite.

16. No, it’s fine if your child is screaming about the toy he couldn’t get. It’s better than awkward silence??

17. I would take that over an elderly man who talks about his extensive medicine collection. But thank you for sharing it with me anyway, sir. Have a nice day.

18. I am amused at how open some people can be to random strangers.

19. Once while working I found out that a customer’s friend’s house burnt down in a fire through conversation I had with him about kitchen appliances.

20. That was a long time ago. I wonder how they’re doing.

21. Is it time for my break yet?

22. Oh, it’s only been half an hour since I started this shift. Dang.

23. In the occasion that I am the only cashier during a rush, please don’t complain about the long lines and slow service.

24. It’s much better to have things done well than to speed through things in order to fit to your needs.

25. I’m sorry that we are currently low on cashiers. I’m trying my best for you.

26. “Hi, how are you today?”

27. No, ma’am, I’m not too young for this job. I’m 19, believe it or not.

28. Yes, I understand that I still look like a young high schooler.

29. This is going to be a long shift. I can feel it.

30. No way, Kortney Kardashian was spotted in a monokini? Wow. What would I do without looking at tabloid covers…

31. Wait, what’s a monokini?

32. Is it time for my break yet?

33. Oh, it’s only been an hour since I started this shift. Fantastic.

34. “Hi, did you find everything okay? Do you have a rewards card with us today?”

35. Ha. That rhymed. Nice.

36. …Why did I find amusement in that?

37. Thank you for the compliment on my hair, ma’am. Yes, it is natural, no I haven’t dyed it before.

38. Gosh darn it, don’t pay in cash. I apologize in advance if I don’t give exactly $0.98 back. Counting can be hard.

39. I try to give the correct amount of change back. I usually do.

40. But, mistakes happen, right?

41. At least the music that’s playing over the intercom isn’t terrible.

42. Oh wait, now they’re playing a country song. I want to leave.

43. Regardless of the ups and downs that happen with this job, I do like the process of it all.

44. It can actually be pretty entertaining as well.

45. Sure, some of the people are weird or rude, but that can happen in any workplace.

46. And most customers are nice people, which makes shifts more enjoyable.

47. Yes, you can separate your items into two different transactions to use your all of your coupons.

48. Actually, that’s smart. Wow. I didn’t know about before having a job. Good to know.

49. Wait, what time is it?

50. Oh, hey, it’s time for my break.