50 Things Retail Workers Know All Too Well

168
Microsoft

Working in retail isn't as easy as people make it out to be. Retail workers have to maintain composure in difficult circumstances and have to fulfill the company's rules and goals -- all while the expectations of customers. There are a variety of things that you can learn about yourself, the world, and others by working in retail businesses. It isn't always just smiling and organizing a store everyday, but it is also about working with the public. Retail is an amazing job and can help benefit you in many ways, however, at times it can test your patience. As you read below, you will see numerous things that take place in retail -- if not every day, at least once or twice during the week. I'm sure many of you who work in retail can somehow relate.

1. When a customer blames you for something out of your control. Like an item will not scan... because it's no longer in the system.

2. As soon as we open the doors, the gates are suddenly flooded with enthusiastic shoppers... at 8 a.m.

3. Customers see the final price of their purchase and want a discount immediately.

4. It's your day off from work, but you will probably get a phone call from work anyways.

5. Customers act like they know you and you are their therapist. You just go along with it after a while.

6. You must greet every customer with a smile.

7. When a customer throws their items or money at you instead of handing it to you:

8. A customer comes in at 9:55 p.m. and the store closes at 10 p.m.

9. When a customer asks to speak to the manager and the manager tells them the exact same thing...

10. When you successfully make it to go on break without any customers asking you questions:

11. When customers ask you this famous question, "How do you work here?" as they look at the messy store:

12. When you explain the return policy to a customer who is trying to get their money back after their dress has obviously been worn to the club the night before that is saturated with deodorant stains.

13. When a customer says they'll "never shop here again." Alright, see you next week.

14. Another form of how we cope with mean customers.

15. When a customer asks for help and doesn't know what they're looking for. At all.

16. When you just clocked out for break and realize its getting busy... you will haul tail to the break room.

17. We drop everything that we are doing for you. Yes, we'll even leave our register to check inventory for the 'XS' $2.99 clearance item.

18. You are destined to see a fight break out over a shirt on sale...

19. Coupons are helpful -- and sometimes painful. We know what we can discount and take off for you -- don't question us or point out the bold print to us. We love good deals, too.

20. We take time folding clothes so you can find things easier and five minutes later -- it looks as if a tornado has hit the store.

21. No, you may not have our employee discount. Is that really even a question?

22. We get asked "Do you work here?" almost daily. We are wearing a uniform and a name tag.

23. When a customer asks you your opinion on an outfit, you know what to do -- be honest.

24. Not only do customers critique us, but so do our managers.

25. An employee just called out for a sick day, and the manager comes around asking if anyone can stay and extra four hours.

26. You know at least one co-worker that is always and I mean always, happy and ready to make sales goal.

27. When someone asks you how much something costs when the price-tag states it...

28. We do not know where every single item in the store is located.

29. We'll ring you up, answer the phone, and help the customer in front of us and on the phone as well. Hold, please.

30. Just because a particular shirt is in the catalog does not mean we have it stock.

31. But sure, we will check the computer for you for the third time.

32. Some of us have phrases we have to say -- it's mandatory.

33. You will meet some strange people when working with the public...

34. Like the over-talkative elder.

35. The major couponer and sale enthusiast...

36. The proud woman who didn't spend as much as she thought, so she's got to tell you how excited she is!

37. Or the mom swearing she's cool as she buys the latest trend for herself.

38. The regulars makes work more enjoyable. Let's be real.

39. Customers will treat you like an uneducated peasant.

40. Teenagers come and try on every. single. item.

41. When the customer forgets his wallet in the car...

42. It is our job to ask for emails.

43. When you are your friend are working together, it's a better and smoother day.

44. When you are sick and call out for work, your manager asks you "Are you sure you can't make it?" UM. NO.

45. When the customer comes into the store and lets their child roam and destroy the store:

46. When a customer comes into the store and leaves their trash all over the place for you to clean up.

47. An employee or manager is going to ask you where someone is. Wait for it.

48. A customer who interrupts you when you are in the middle of helping another customer...

49. The woman that wants to do three different transactions for 50 items -- with a long line behind her two days before Christmas...

50. That employee discount comes in handy, though.