50 Things All Freshman Should Know

50 Things All Freshman Should Know

College is nothing like high school.

221
50 Things All Freshman Should Know

1. It is not that scary.

Trust me, college is not as terrifying as it seems. Sure, you may be overwhelmed, but it isn't scary.

2. You will be homesick and that's ok.

Whether or not they admit it, everyone feels this way at least once in their college career.

3. It's ok to go home every weekend or not at all.

Some people like to go home on the weekends and sometimes people don't. I personally went home every once and awhile my first semester but did not go home for a weekend second semester.

4. Call your parents and say hi.

They miss you.

5. It's nothing like high school.

You can't get away with half the things you could get away with in high school. Welcome to the real world.

6. Do your homework.

It really helps your grade at the end of the semester.

7. Show up for class.

You (or your parents) are paying a lot of money to be at this school for an education. So, show up. Also, no one likes to be behind in class.

8. Take notes in class.

Find a way to take notes that you'll understand. There are some professors that only lecture and you need to listen carefully to what they're saying so you can write down the important information. Some professors use PowerPoints but every professor is different.

9. Take advantage of office hours.

If you need help with anything, your professor or TA (teacher's assistant) wants to help you. After all, it is their job to teach you so you might as well try to understand what they're lecturing about.

10. Study for tests and quizzes.

Take time to study for any tests and/or quizzes you have- school is important.

11. This means learning how to study.

I'm not going to lie, I had no clue how to study when I came into college since in high school you could get away with not studying and still end up getting an A.

12. Make friends with classmates.

It's so important to have at least one buddy in each of your classes so that if you miss a class, they can send you the notes. What I have done is make a group chat with the people I sit next to and it really helps me if I don't understand something or missed a class.

13. Buy a planner.

It'll become your best friend. I have both a physical planner and my computer calendar.

14. Learn how to send a proper email.

Do not email your professor like you would email a friend. If you have to send an email to them, make sure it is formal and grammatically correct.

15. Stay on top of due dates.

They come up quicker than you'd think. One thing I do is I write down all my assignments in my planner so that I am not surprised by any due date.

16. Check BlackBoard.

Teachers post everything on BlackBoard. From grades to assignments, I recommend you download the BlackBoard app.

17. Ask questions.

Don't be scared to raise your hand in class. Chances are someone else probably had the same question but were too scared to ask!

18. Do not show up to class hungover.

You're not going to be able to focus if you're exhausted from last night.

19. Be careful with what you post.

If you're going out to parties and are drinking underage, be careful with what you post online because as cliche as it sounds, the Internet is forever.

20. You do not need to go out every weekend.

To each it's own but you do not always have to go out to parties every single weekend. Take some weekends off to study or catch up on your favorite Netflix series because you aren't missing very much.

21. Be careful with fakes.

They're illegal and you could get in a lot of trouble with police if you give the wrong person your fake I.D..

22. Count your drinks.

Because no one wants to take care of a drunken mess and you for sure don't want to deal with the consequences the next day.

23. Do not be afraid to call 911 if someone has drank too much.

THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! If you think a person (regardless of if they're you're friend or not) has drank too much and potentially has alcohol poisoning (see the symptoms here) do not hesitate to call 911. You aren't snitching if the person is close to death. Also, there are certain laws that protect a caller if they call an ambulance. In Maryland, this law is known as the Good Samaritan Law and it "...encourages any person regardless of age..." to call for help if they/someone else are experiencing an overdose by protecting them from any prosecution of possessing alcohol or paraphernalia or providing alcohol to minors.

24. Know what's in your drink.

Pour your own drinks, don't drink other people's drink, and NEVER put your drink down. Also never drink the juice.

25. Look out for other people.

Ladies, if you see another girl (doesn't matter if you're friends with her) or any person who is being hit on and is visibly uncomfortable, get them out of that situation.

26. Track your spending.

College is more expensive than you'd think. Download your bank's mobile app and set up notifications to alert you when you spend any money. Be sure to always check how much money is in your bank account and try to spend as little as possible.

27. Take advantage of student discounts.

For example, Amazon offers free Prime to college students, Spotify gives you a discount on Premium membership, and Apple also gives you a student discount for a new laptop. Take a look at this webpage that gives you 100 places that give students a discount.

28. Use your meals.

If you have extra meals leftover during the week, go to your Outtakes and get food for your dorm so that you don't waste any leftover meals.

29. If there is free stuff on campus, take it.

Who doesn't enjoy a free t-shirt?

30. Download Venmo.

College students LOVE Venmo. It allows you to not have to carry around cash all the time since it is electronically connected to your bank account. Also, it just makes life so much easier when you need to pay someone back and you don't have cash.

31. You will need to learn to share.

Say goodbye to your privacy. Yes there are moments where your roommate may not be in the room, but that's can be very rare. Learn how to share a space now so that you aren't blindsided when it comes to move-in day.

32. Coexist with your roommate.

No where does it say that you need to be best friends with your roommate. But, it's a smart idea to be friendly/acquaintances with your roommate since you are living with them for a whole year.

33. Communication is key

I absolutely despise confrontation but I've had to learn to get over it, especially since I am expected to "adult" now. If your roommate does something you don't like, tell them nicely. Never bottle up your emotions because that will just lead to a huge outburst over nothing.

34. Clean your room.

Vacuum your dorm every once and a while, wipe down all the handles (because you get sick easily in college), do your dishes, and try to avoid leaving clothes on the floor. Your mom can't follow you to school and pick up after you.

35. Eat healthy

With all the junk food offered on campus, it's easy to get caught up in a cycle of unhealthy foods. Try and eat a well-balanced diet that consists of nutrients not in carbohydrates and starches. If your campus doesn't have an Outtakes or just doesn't always offer healthy food, try ordering food online from apps such as GoPuff.

36. Work out

Freshman 15 is real and will happen to you if you do not exercise.

37. Discover the town around you.

Outside of the little college bubble there is a whole town out there filled with fun things to do. Take time on the weekends to go exploring with your friends!

38. Never walk alone.

There are moments where you will walk alone at night, but always try to walk with friends. If you do end up walking alone, I recommend downloading SafeTrek or sharing your location with friends just in case. Also, someone is always willing to walk back to your dorm with you. Different schools have different resources so be sure to know the specific things your school has to offer.

39. You do not HAVE to be in a relationship.

You are finally able to be an adult and live independently for once. Take time to figure out who you are before you rush into the dating scene.

40. But if you do have a significant other, be mindful of your roommate.

Because no one likes to be the awkward third wheel.

41. Join clubs and go to events that interest you.

The first few weeks of school will be overwhelming and sometimes a bit lonely. Go to the involvement fair at your school and try to join at least one club that peaks your interest.

42. It's ok to be alone.

In high school, I remember it was always so weird if someone was eating alone. In college, it isn't a big deal and sometimes it's nice to have a little bit of time to yourself before your next class.

43. It takes time to find your friends.

In movies and TV shows, it always seems as though once you get to college, you instantly have all these friends. However, that is not the case. You will not find your group of friends right off the bat. Yes, you will meet some friends the first few weeks of school, but over time you will find your friend group.

44. Look into Greek life.

Don't just brush it off and say it isn't you, at least take a second to consider joining a sorority/fraternity.

45. It's ok to not know your major.

Coming in as an undecided major is ok. Not everyone knows what they want to do yet and that's totally normal.

46. It's ok to switch your major.

If you aren't 100% passionate about your major, it's ok to switch it to something that interests you. They always say if you're passionate about something you never have to work a day in your life.

47. Don't be scared to ask someone for help.

There are people on campus whose job is to help you- you just have to ask them for help.

48. SLEEP!

You do not need to stay up until 1 AM every night. Sleep is important.

49. Take pictures

You're going to want to look back at all the fun times you've had.

50. ENJOY YOURSELF!

College flies by so enjoy the four years that you have!!