5 Ways You Know You're The Oldest Child

5 Ways You Know You're The Oldest Child

Being the first born child, you feel the need to be the "leader" of the family.

9
5 Ways You Know You're The Oldest Child
Gabrielle Dawe

Being the "oldest" sibling seems fun and all fine and dandy, but we all know as you get older you are the leading example of the family. Everything that the first born child does is a big deal, whether it be positive or negative. There is a lot of pressure and certain underlying standards on whether you are the first born son or daughter, that need to met. If you are the first born child within your family, then you will connect very closely to what things I am going to list that are essential to know.

1. You feel the need to be "perfect"

Being the first born child, you feel the need to be the "leader" of the family. You feel the need to set the roles and expectations for your little siblings. Being the first born, you feel the need to be the one to get the best grades in school, be the best athlete, be involved in the most things, be the most popular, etc. Even though there is never a real ideal "perfection," the first born child has all of the pressure on them, in order to fulfill the hopes and dreams that their parents and guardians have for them.

2. You have no one to look up to.

When I say this, it means that as being the first born, you don't have that older brother or sister to get the social "advice" from. You don't have that older sibling to get that boyfriend or girlfriend advice from, that you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents about. That being said, you are either left to figuring it out on your own or talking to your close friends' about it. Not only that, you don't have that "role model" in your life that you want to grow up just like. This can be difficult for some firstborns, but it is also very rewarding in the sense that, after you accomplish your own goals and dreams, it is exciting to watch your little brother or sister, talk about how much they want to be like you and do the same things you did. It is a very bittersweet feeling.

3. Your parents are the most strict with you.

That being said, the first born child truly knows that their parents "never let them do anything." Even though sometimes that is true, and other times it is not. We all know being the first born, for example you have to wait the longest to get your first cell phone, your parents are the most overprotective of you, so you can't go to a concert by yourself, etc. And the funny thing is, after your time has passed, you sometimes see that your younger siblings gets away with a lot more than you did. A lot of the time your parents' are tired by this point in their lives, so they let your younger siblings "do whatever they want." "I don't get to be a kid" is a common phrase that us firstborns always say. That is the most frustrating thing about being the first born child.

4. You get all the "new" things.

As being first born, you get all the new things in the sense you get all the new toys, new clothes, and new gadgets. That is a perk of being the firstborn. You don't have to deal with the sloppy seconds' after your siblings have already used or worn it. You get to get all the fresh and new things that you want.

5. You have to be the most responsible and confident.

Growing up firstborn, you out of all of your siblings have to be the most responsible all around. You are the one that has to do everything around the house, get your first job early, and have to figure out everything (whether it be school, or friends' related) all on your own. You do not have that extra guidance. Yes, in the long run being the most responsible will help you. But, in the moment it can be very tedious and difficult. From being the most responsible, you gain the qualities of being extra confident and determined. You are more inclined to work harder and do things that you believe are right. You believe in yourself more, in which makes you more confident. Being responsible and confident are common traits that run in firstborns.

Although being the first born can be challenging, it can be the most rewarding thing in the world. You are the one to set the high expectations and standards for your family. You benefit from getting to be the most scared and fearful of everything and grow into the most beautiful and independent leader.