5 Ways You Can Fight The Winter Blues!

5 Ways You Can Fight The Winter Blues!

Methods you can use to combat sadness during the winter.

7
5 Ways You Can Fight The Winter Blues!

Winter is quickly approaching, and for some this signals a season dominated by “the blahs.”

It’s no wonder: The days grow shorter and the sun always seems to be hidden behind cloud cover when it does try to shine. It’s almost always frigid outside, which makes it difficult to get out of your warm bed, let alone go outdoors. Throughout the years, I’ve found some ways to raise my spirits in this winter climate. Here are 5 ways you can try to overcome winter dreariness!

1. Go outside during the day, even for a little bit.

So many people underestimate the power of spending time outdoors year ‘round. Even though it’s cold, it’s extremely important to be outdoors, especially at this time of year when the sun rises late and sets early. You’ll get natural light, which has proven to improve people’s moods.

2. Get a happy light or a salt lamp.

Even though natural light (sunlight) is something you should experience everyday, the reality is you may not have the chance. During the week, you usually go to work or school early (when it’s dark), and then come home late (when it’s dark again). This is arguably the most depressing part of winter. To remedy this, get either a happy lamp or a salt lamp! Both lamps radiate light that generates positive energy for the people that experience them.

3. Don’t oversleep.

While it’s understandable that your workload may not allow you to get a lot of sleep on the weekdays, don’t fall into the trap of sleeping all day on the weekends to make up for it. Many people don’t want to leave their beds, especially considering the specter of cold weather. They also feel as though they should be going to bed when the sun sets (close to 6 or 7 pm). Try to only sleep as much as you need, and make the most of every day despite the shorter day length!

4. Plan fun events!

When summer days are long gone we tend to get into a groove of just doing work. There are fewer organized outdoor events (like picnics) and as a result people stay inside. The absence of these opportunities may be affecting you more than you realize. Plan something fun for the weekend to make up for it. It may be a little harder, since going outdoors isn’t as fun, but you’ll be happy you did!

5. Exercise!

In the summer, it’s much easier to get outdoors and be active. However, in the winter days, people are much less likely to be getting the appropriate amount of exercise. They may no longer want to go outside since it’s freezing, or going to the gym may seem like even more of an unbearable task than before. It becomes very easy to use the cold as an excuse to not do something- especially exercising. However, exercise releases the endorphins you need to keep a positive attitude throughout the day. Try to motivate yourself to either still go outside or go to the gym as much as possible.