5 Ways To Not Piss Off Your Roommate

5 Ways To Not Piss Off Your Roommate

64
5 Ways To Not Piss Off Your Roommate

Whether you live in a dorm, an apartment, or the big blue sea, you are going to be living in close quarters with someone. But whether its Great Aunt Bertha or Becky with the Big Butt, there are a few things that should be common knowledge when you are living amongst a roommate.

1.Communication is key.

Whether you need toilet paper replaced or your roommate keeps stealing your fruit snacks, communication is always necessary. Passive aggressive sticky notes are helpful though (surprisingly) don’t work for everyone, so think outside of the box! Or and I know it’s crazy, but here me out… you could have a conversation with them! Okay, now I’m being passive aggressive.

2.Be Friendly!

I know sometimes we want to go back to our rooms like little hermits and close ourselves off to the world while reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but the truth is, we don’t want to be like Becca’s roommate from Pitch Perfect. I’m not saying you should be best friends, but please keep it civil, and try to exchange small talk on a day to day basis.

3.Don’t be messy!

Now before you say “Oh, my room is just an organized mess”, remember that even though you may be able to function in this hazardous situation, others may not. Its close quarters people. Also, coming from the most disorganized person on the planet, if I can keep my room clean you sure as heck, can!

4.Accept that you will need to make sacrifices.

Not like “Let’s go sacrifice some animals” sacrifice. The other kind. Maybe you are a complete control freak and always need everything to be a certain way. I’ve learned very quickly in these first few weeks that your idea of what an outcome will be or how you want something to happen will 9 times out of 10, be the opposite of what actually happens. So talk to your roommates, make compromises, go to bed earlier or later, or let them shower in the morning.

5.In the words of my theatre director: Don’t be a dick. I don’t think this needs an explanation.

There you have it! With these tips I assure you can make light of any rooming situation and remember to have fun!