5 Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season

5 Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season

Remember to Do Your Part This Season

11
5 Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season

Thanksgiving is a time for reflection and spending time with family. Oftentimes, we tend to forget just how important our friends and family are, but Thanksgiving is a great time to remember how special we are to one another and how important it is to give thanks for the positive things we have in life. Take some time this Thanksgiving, and the upcoming holiday season overall, to remember why we celebrate and the important aspects of the day. Remember to be thankful for the family and friends surrounding you.

But, remember to give back this holiday season and to remember those who may not be as fortunate as you. It only takes a little time and effort to give back to your local community during the holidays, and it brings more good cheer than you would expect!

Here is a list of 5 ways you can give back during this holiday season:

1. Participate in Feed My Starving Children.

I absolutely love FMSC! I have done it multiple times in my life and I still find the magic in doing it each time I go. Feed My Starving Children allows you to pack meals for children living in underdeveloped nations so that they are able to eat nutritious meals. Packed with different veggies and nutrients, the food you are able to pack into these bags can help children survive and grow stronger each day. FMSC is a great way to spend time with friends or family, too! You are put into groups at your work stations to ease the process, and this can be a fun way to catch up with one another! FMSC is a great way to get involved and have fun doing it!

2. Donate your old clothes.

We all know that we have plenty of clothes in our closets that we don't wear anymore. Take some time to go through your drawers and take out those old clothes that don't fit anymore. Donating these to your local Goodwill or other donation center could truly change the life of someone who needs the clothing more than you. It's getting cold outside, and everyone deserves to be dressed warm enough for the weather.

3. Donate to Toys for Tots or something similar.

All children deserve to have a happy Christmas or holiday season this year. Picking up an extra toy or two at Target and donating it could light up a child's face. A really fun way to get your own kids involved would be to have them pick out the toys you are going to donate; this teaches the value of giving back to your community at an early age. Toys for Tots and other organizations provide a happy Christmas morning to those who may not have the funds to afford it, making the lives of many children so much brighter.

4. Spend time at your local soup kitchen.

Soup kitchens are busy with work during the holiday season. Taking time to help them prepare meals for those in need can be an easy way to not only help your community, but to also get some cooking practice in! You are also able to meet those you serve which is a great way to learn more about those around you and to make bigger changes in the world around you. Soup kitchens also do a wonderful job making sure you are comfortable cooking what they would like to make, so if cooking isn't your style, there are so many other ways to help out at a kitchen!

5. Donate to a food pantry in your community.

Going through your pantry or cabinets to find non-perishable items is as easy as pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving Day. Take out a box or bag of items and be sure to bring it to your local food pantry so that they can donate it to those in need. This takes very little time and is a large help to the community around you. Get the whole family involved! This is a great way to remember those in need while working together as a family to get a job done.