5 Ways To Combat Fall Allergies

5 Ways To Combat Fall Allergies

Reduce those pesky allergy symptoms so you can enjoy the season change!
13

Many people assume allergy season solely lies within the spring months, typically ranging from March-June. However, as the warm-humid weather shifts to crisp, cooler air, the colors of the leaves are not the only things changing. In addition to adjusting pollen levels, the amount of mold and dust play a huge role in fall allergens. Students and teachers often get the brunt of this, from entering schools that may have been a bit lax in terms of cleanliness over the summer.

So are there any ways of avoiding this, or at least decreasing the symptoms? Absolutely. Here are five proactive behaviors for combatting those pesky fall allergies.

1. Get a Dehumidifier

This transitional season allows for extra dust mites, mold and mildew, which only increases your chances of getting itchy eyes, a runny nose, and a scratchy throat. Dehumidifiers work wonders for the air quality around you, especially if you’re in a small space with a limited amount of ventilation. Whether it’s in your bedroom, bathroom, or work office, these little lifesavers will reduce the moisture in the air allowing your respiratory system to breathe easily. Trust me, you will feel the difference.

2. Carry antibacterial gel with you everywhere

Hand sanitizer is a fast, and convenient way to limit the amount of germs you intake on a daily basis. However, utilizing them the correct way is crucial for effectiveness. When applying, be sure to cover the entire hand including finger crevasses, the palm, and the wrist. If you are wearing any jewelry, I would advise to remove them first as these fashion accessories are perfect hiding places for germs. Keep a portable tube on you at all times. You’ll thank me when your boss introduces you to someone who just sneezed into his/her hands.

3. Green Tea and Ginger are your new best friends

As you’ve probably heard before, green tea is full of antioxidants, which aid in creating a strong foundation for immunity. What people don’t know, however, is that it takes approximately three or four cups in tea form, to ingest the suggested amount. Therefore, adding green tea into to your daily self-care routine is crucial for you to reap the benefits when allergy season approaches. Ginger, on the other hand, has a substantial amount of vitamin C, and its most effective part is the root. You can’t go wrong by consistently drinking green-ginger tea!

4. Be conscious of current pollen levels

As fall approaches, we get that lovely crisp, breathable air. Therefore, we often love to shut our air conditioners off and open up our windows. However, if you are an allergy sufferer, this could actually lead to more harm than good. Before cracking those windows, be sure to check the pollen levels for that week. If they are low, you’re good. If they are on the high side, it will be in your best interest to leave them shut for a while.

5. Consider monthly massage therapy

Now, I know what you’re going to say. There is no way in hell that I can afford a massage every month. But let me just say that massages are an extremely natural, and effective preventative measure that you can take against allergies. Through the heat, oil, and body stimulation, a large amount of built up toxins are being released, making your body less hospitable to germs. You may have to give up that handbag, and invest in these monthly massages during peak allergy seasons. Not only will your body feel rejuvenated, but your mental health will improve as well!