5 Tips To Start Out The Semester Right

5 Tips To Start Out The Semester Right

Tackling college this semester? Here's how to get off on the right foot.

6
5 Tips To Start Out The Semester Right
Javier Moncada

College has been a crazy experience. It has been a lot of late nights of studying and debauchery these past two years. This is my third year coming back, and my sanity has been tested year after year. Luckily, I have always managed to come out of it sane.

I have failed and dropped out of classes during this, my undergraduate career.

I am not an expert, but I feel that I am experienced enough to give some tips to young students that are coming into college for the first time or coming back. College will be the best experience anyone will have, but it will challenge you too. If you don’t focus and get your act together, you will not make it.

The goal is to finish strong so you can get paid and get laid.

1. Get your paperwork in order!

Whether it is forms for your financial aid or immunizations, keep track of those forms and submit them in a timely manner.

I’m one of those students that has turned everything in last minute, and it’s not ideal. I have also seen students lose scholarships when they get lazy with their paperwork.

Do all of this in the beginning of the summer or right after you apply. After it’s done, you can enjoy the rest of your summer or focus on any summer classes you may have.

If that is not possible, don’t wait until the last minute. Manage your time accordingly.

2. Check your course’s online Canvas for any assignments a few days before.

Some professors are very special. They are so special that they sometimes assign work a month before classes officially start.

From my experience, it is always something small. The last time this happened to me I missed 10 extra points because I didn’t write an introductory paper about myself. I still passed the class with a B+.

It wasn’t the end of the world, but my advice is to always check your classes’ Canvas page a few days before the start of class.

If the professor sees you are ahead, he or she is more likely to help you if you are in a bind during the semester.

3. Always buy used textbooks or rent

Textbooks are and forever will be the bane of my existence. Some text books are as much an iPod Touch.

Don’t buy new textbooks. Go used, buying or renting. Most secondhand book stores or online stores that sell used textbooks usually sell good quality used textbooks. I always try to use Amazon, but if that isn’t an option, look for a secondhand bookstore in your area.

Or you can just wait until the first day of class to see if you even need the textbook. That is a good way to save money too.

4. Mentally prepare for the inevitable

Classes are going to start on a specific day. It is going to happen. You can’t avoid it.

As a journalism student, I try to write so I can refresh my skills and review on my grammar. You can always do some sort of practice exercise a few days before the start of classes too.

College is 90 percent mental. If you go into class with a cool head and ready to learn, then you’ll be fine.

5. Never be afraid to ask for help

My experience starting out in FGCU was similar to that of a father throwing his child into the pool so he or she could learn how swim.

Remember that it is always okay to ask questions and ask for help. College does not have to be the end of the world.

I have never understood why older staff members make it difficult for us to fill out some stupid form or see an academic advisor.

The amount of things a student has to do on daily basis in today’s world would make a 50-year-old cringe. I have met students that take 4 classes and have a full-time job at the same time. At a time, I had a similar experience.

Either way, remember that you have your fellow peers to lean on. A lot of the time a peer will have better advice than some older staff member working in some office.

As I said before, college will be the most enjoyable and the most stressful time in your life. Just remember the goal, which is to finish strong so you can get paid and get laid. If you remember that, then you will be an A+ student during your undergraduate career.

Remember to just have a good time too. Study hard and party hard because you won’t party as hard as you do in college ever again.