5 Things To Keep In Mind When You Finally Move Out Of Your Parent's House
Education

Asking questions you never thought to ask, buying things you never imagined you would need, and trekking to places you have never ventured. But hey, that's where the fun begins, right?

210
https://www.pexels.com/photo/people-gathered-inside-house-sitting-on-sofa-1054974/
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

Finally getting the opportunity to move out on your own is incredibly freeing and is a pivotal part of your "growing up " stage. But it isn't what I would call "easy," exactly. Moving takes a lot of time, patience and money, and can definitely wear on your sanity at times. Here are 5 things to keep in mind when you're prepping to finally move out of your parent's house and on to your own adventure!

1. Moving is more expensive than you think.

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Yes, there will be the first and last month's rent, and utilities, of course. But there will also be the costs to ship your belongings to wherever it is you're moving to or the cost to drive it all there. There will be costs for signing the lease, the contract, and a processing fee. There will be the cost of the living room furniture you've never had to even look at price tags for, and dining room furniture, and bedroom furniture. Plus brokers/renter's fees and insurance. There will be the cost of internet and cable and switching all of the bills into your name. Most importantly, decor for the bedroom, living rooms, bathrooms, kitchen, and other common areas. Believe me, these costs add up pretty quickly, and it is not very fun.

2. Ask ANY and ALL questions that come to mind.

Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash

Just a week ago, which would be three weeks before my move, I find out that our building doesn't have air conditioning. Now, being from South Florida, that was obviously not a question I would have ever thought to ask—It only came up when my future roommate posted a snap chat about how hot the room was getting with the summer heat in full swing. I am also responsible for a security deposit repayment that was never discussed in the listing for the room, nor outlined in my fees when I talked to the person I'm renting from. Huge surprise (and not the good kind). Whether you have a question about how the streets are cleared in a snowstorm, or about the commute at prime traffic times, or even what coffee places are nearby, ask away. There's no such thing as too much information when it comes to this kind of thing!

3. Don't pick the first place you see.

Photo by Patrick Perkins on Unsplash

As aforementioned, the place I will be moving in to, while absolutely amazing, is not perfect. There are some pop-up issues and fees that I never intended to have, and I thought everything would be a breeze with the apartment choice that I made. No place is perfect—that I understand; however, there may have been a better option for me. Financially, aesthetically, and commute-wise. But I picked the first place I saw because I was worried about it being snatched away from me. What I learned is that if it meant to be, it will be. So trust that you'll find a place that works almost-perfectly for you, and it may not be the first one. Look around, compare the TOTAL costs, weigh the pros and cons, and don't be afraid to say no if it doesn't fully work for you!

4. You probably shouldn't (and feasibly can't) take EVERYTHING you own with you.

Photo by Mikes Photos from Pexels

I own a lot of stuff. A lot of room decor, clothing, and shoes. So many pairs of shoes. And shipping everything I own would never work. It would cost me hundreds of dollars to ship boxes and even more to add checked-bags to my flight, and I (and my parents) would be broke. So, you do not need 20 pairs of shoes. You do not need to bring all 15 pairs of jeans that you own. And you can buy more room decor when you get there—maybe you'll even find inspiration for a whole new theme! Not to mention, getting rid of some of your clothes and belonging can be so helpful in shedding your past and getting ready for your future. And you can donate whatever you don't want to keep and help other, while also making yourself feel good! It's a win-win, and maybe you'll get to shop a little bit when you get there to fill those tiny gaps in your wardrobe...

5. Saying goodbye is definitely hard, but it is absolutely necessary.

Photo by Leah Kelley from Pexels

Yes, leaving the comforts of your grocery shopping being done, your rent paid, and a loving family is hard. You will miss your everyday routine and your friends and family. You will miss your pets and your old bedroom. But leaving fear behind and moving on to what could be the greatest adventure of your life is absolutely imperative. When you venture out on your own, you will make ti through hardships of your own and learn so many valuable lessons. You'll meet new people and make important relationships, both personal and professional, that will better your life. And you will become the adult version of yourself. I promise it will be worth it in the end.

Moving out is hard. Growing up is hard. But it is important, and we all need to do it at some point. Please remember to ask questions, pack efficiently, and have fun.

Until next week friends!