10 Things You Learn When You Move Into Your First Apartment

With great square footage, comes great responsibility.

209
Savannah Haas

1. First things first - figure out the thermostat

There's nothing worse than getting the keys to your first apartment and swinging that door open in excitement, only to realize it's hotter inside than it is outside in the Arizona August sun.

Take it from me- when I moved into my apartment, the thermostat was permanently stuck at 84 degrees, and after moving dozens of heavy boxes in and out all day, the last thing I wanted to do was sweat all over my clean, new bedsheets.

Take some time to poke around your thermostat and make sure you understand how the programming works for each time in the day. Also use this time to agree with your roommates, if you have them, on what temperature you'd like to keep the apartment at.

2. You’re not running a decoration race- take it one poster at a time

This was a lesson I definitely learned the hard way! Waiting all summer to move into your apartment for the school year and spending hours a day on Tumblr or Pinterest searching decoration ideas (admit it, we've all totally done that), can make you super eager to get started the minute you unpack.

You might be tempted to buy one too many paintings and geometric desk pieces, only to find out later that you simply don't have the room for them. In that case, you'll definitely regret spending money you could have used for groceries or dish soap on decoration you're just going to put in a storage bin under your bed.

I recommend buying certain items throughout the months before your anticipated move, and then making a list of things you'd still like to add once all of those are put up. You'll be glad you saved the money down the road.

3. Unexpected expenses will be the death of you

Never in my life did I think I would have to prioritize a spice rack or dish towels over certain aspects of my social life, like going out to lunch with my friends after class. It's far too easy to overlook things like knife sets, cutting boards, or even a mop when you're moving into an apartment because they aren't always at the forefront of your mind. There were so many unanticipated expenses for me because I focused more on the presentability of my apartment than the functionality. I found out very quickly that a vacuum might just be more important than a full patio set for my teeny tiny balcony.

4. Reality check- Pinterest meals ain’t easy

Sometimes, you hit the jackpot and find a roommate who both loves to cook and is actually good at it. And sometimes, you realize that that 4-cheese lasagna recipe you saw online can't be as easily recreated as you thought.

This is one of those "double-edged sword" situations of living alone. On one hand, you can give up and resort back to your macaroni and cheese out of a box, or you can take the time to really test out different recipes and explore what kind of meals you like. In the long run, cooking at home will save you enormous amounts of money compared to eating out each night or grabbing Chick-Fil-A on your way home from work, so this is definitely a good opportunity to hone your inner Judy King.

5. Even if you’re in an apartment complex that mostly houses adults, you’ll still face the occasional noisy, obnoxious neighbor

Don't be surprised if you wake up in the middle of the night to hear loud music or the sound of clinking bottles coming from your left, right, above or below units. Unfortunately, in any apartment building you'll ever live in, it's probable that you'll encounter a neighbor who completely disregards the feelings of the people who live around him.

If you live next to somebody who seems to throw constant ragers, consider knocking on their door or leaving them a note explaining that, while you respect their right to party, you hope you can come to some sort of agreement so you can get some sleep on Friday night. If your neighbors don't respect you reaching out to them, you'll have to accept that, as long as they aren't violating any rules listed in their lease, they have free roam to do whatever they please in their apartment, whether that be blasting their music, cramming hundreds of people into a 1-bedroom unit, or celebrating the rising of the sun each morning. I suggest noise-canceling headphones.

6. There’s always something to clean

I often find myself saying, "didn't I just dust this?" multiple times a week in my head. Sometimes, it may seem like no matter what you do, you're constantly wiping down cupboards, stovetops, kitchen counters, upholstery, office desks, mirrors, etc. The more items you have in an apartment, the more cleaning that has to be done, period.

Part of becoming a full-fledged adult is recognizing that you can't just let dust and bacteria build up on your countertops until it's literally unbearable. Your parents aren't here to clean up after you- there's no one around to do your laundry, pine-sol your bathtub, or vacuum your living room floor...it's just you.

Find two or three days out of the week where you have a spare hour or two and take it one task at a time. I focus on a different area of the apartment each time I clean- Tuesdays it's the kitchen and living room, Thursdays it's my bedroom and bathroom. On Saturdays or Sundays, I usually pick something to deep clean, like my stove, under my sink, or in the back of my refrigerator.

#1 piece of advice: don't put it off! If you clean as you make messes, it feels less overwhelming at the end of the week, and you'll sleep better too.

7. Set boundaries with your roommate(s) early

Occasionally, you luck out and get to live with your best friend or at least people you're acquainted with. Other times, you get assigned to an apartment with complete and total strangers and you have to put in the extra effort to establish a relationship with them. This is especially important when you live with someone because it's very easy to cross boundaries. You might not think it's a problem if you step into your roommate's room to use her stapler, but that might actually be something she isn't comfortable with.

Create a roommate agreement where you identify your boundaries with regards to sharing food, clothes, or other personal items. Get familiar with each other's sleep & class schedule so that you aren't constantly waking up your roommates in the morning or interrupting their study time at night. Plus, it's always nice to know that everyone is on the same page.

8. Sometimes, appliances just stop working- and sometimes, you’re using them wrong

It might seem silly and even a little simple, but familiarize yourself ahead of time with how to operate an oven, a dishwasher, a washer or dryer, or any other appliances you might find or use frequently in your apartment. It's totally embarrassing to meet your neighbors for the first time by knocking on their door to ask them where the fabric softener goes in the machine.

It's awkward to admit, but my roommate and I spent days thinking our dishwasher was broken, when really, we had a dial turned the wrong way the entire time that prevented the detergent holder from locking. The maintenance workers that come to your rescue would much rather spend their time fixing things that are actually broken, so getting to know your basic appliances ahead of time will save everyone involved some time.

9. Don’t be afraid to “put the foot down” with your landlords

As if moving into your first apartment isn't intimidating enough, an apathetic landlord might just make it worse. Unfortunately, in many college towns, the owners of popular apartment buildings take advantage of students knowing that they will have no other option than to oblige and pay extra for things they wouldn't elsewhere, like unnecessary fees.

Within a few days of moving into my first apartment, I noticed damage to furniture that I had purchased in conjunction with my apartment- cat scratches in the chairs that were sat by my kitchen island. The scratches were very noticeable, so I contacted the office of my apartment building and let them know I needed replacements. I also signed forms that declared that the damage was there prior to me moving in so that I could not be charged for it later down the road. The staff did everything they could to provide me with new chairs but unfortunately they didn't have any available at the time I contacted them, so they at least filed the paperwork proving I had not caused the damage. This situation could have easily turned out differently, had the staff not assessed my damaged furniture or had they flat out ignored my request for replacements. Don't let that be the case!

Never let someone take advantage of you just because you're afraid to bother them. It's their job to provide you with the things you agreed on in your lease, so make sure they follow through with it.

10. At the end of the day, you’ll feel accomplished knowing you’ve taken one giant step into the “adult” world

As scary and anxiety-inducing as your first apartment experience can be, it's also one of the first major steps for teenagers into adulthood. You accept more responsibility than ever before, and you truly have to work to make sure you never miss a monthly rent payment or forget to take your laundry out of the washer.

In the end though, you'll feel relieved when you get to come home after a long day at work or school to a place that is entirely your own. Take the plunge, you won't regret it.