5 Tips For High School Seniors From A College Senior

Four years ago, I was in the same place you are in now.

11
OmegaFi

By now the excitement that comes along with applying to colleges and being accepted is beginning to hit home and, four years ago, I was in the same place you are in now. Along with excitement can come nervousness, fear, and maybe even some anxiety, but those are all normal feelings to go through and common as you begin to embark on your next journey. With that all in mind, here are a few tips to remember when getting ready to begin the next chapter of your life.

1. Be open

Be sure to be open to making new friends, to trying new things, and most importantly, to asking for help when you need it. One of the greatest things to remember about college is that it isn't like high school, so sit by someone new in class, explore the town your college is in, and keep an open and honest mind about the new experiences you are being involved in. Join a club, ask for studying tips, and explore your options, likes and dislikes when it comes to choosing your major.

2. Be safe

Starting college is most likely one of the first things you will be doing completely on your own. With that in mind, it's important to remember to be safe. Make good choices, look out for your friends, and know your resources when it comes to certain situations. Everyone should be taking care of everyone so surround yourself with people who you want to look out for you.

3. Try

You're not going to college so you can flunk out or be forced to drop all of your classes due to bad grades so don't forget to try. If you're feeling lonely in your dorm room, walk out into the hall and introduce yourself to someone new. If you're having a hard time in a class, ask for help so you can do better. Embrace what is new and perhaps more difficult, and really try your absolute best at this new experience.

4. Enjoy it

Honestly, these are going to be the best four years of your life. Without a doubt. College is such an amazing time to discover who you really are and to involve yourself in new experiences. Write things down, take photos, and try and remember every moment of this time in your life because it only happens once and the time is about to fly by.

5. Call your mom

It's easy to forget about your family members who are back at home but remember to send a letter, write an email, or pick up the phone and call your parents. In most cases, you will find that you actually have a lot to tell them about and they will want to hear about everything you have to say.Refrain from calling only when you need something. The most important thing to remember is how proud of you they are, so don't you owe it to them to give them a jingle every once and a while?