5 Tips To Make Every Day A Day Of Thanksgiving

The turkey has come and gone but not the many things to be thankful for.

21
Google Images

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone, sadly not the extra pounds I gained with the surplus of food. It has become one of my favorite holidays. I enjoy sitting around the table with my family and simply realizing how much I am thankful for. However, after I express my gratitude for the many blessings I have, I find myself at the mall on Black Friday wanting more.

In life I find myself wanting more not necessarily materialistic things but wishing my family had better health or that I had made it home for a particular event. It is so easy to get sidetracked and overlook the many blessings and things to be thankful in our lives. Here are 5 tips and ideas to make everyday a thanksgiving day.

1. Wake up in the morning with thanksgiving.

Trust me waking up in college is HARD. Sometimes it is difficult to be grateful when you know you have an exam later you are not quite prepared for. Instead of waking up apprehensive of what the day will bring, be grateful for another day. It is another opportunity to have a great day, make someone smile, or create a memory. Sadly, not everyone is granted with another day to make great, so take advantage of what the new day could bring.

2. Do not overlook the little things.

There are so many little things that occur throughout our days that we can be grateful for. The sun came up, your professor canceled class, or your loved ones are alive another day regardless of the depth of the blessings they are still blessings. It is easy to forget and overlook the minute blessings as we focus on the negativity of the event or circumstance, but in that circumstance there are blessings.

3. When things go wrong, realize there are blessings everywhere.

When thinking of your blessings and what you are thankful for, it is important to work your way from the smallest or simplest things to the larger picture blessings. I recently learned this technique, and it has helped me comprehend how much I have to be thankful for. I woke up this morning, my apartment is warm, I have running water to shower, I have the privilege to further my education, I have professors that care, and the list continues. The ability to take a step back and realize the hierarchy of things to be grateful for helps put things in perspective. It essentially reminds you of all the things you are thankful for.

4. Tell people you are thankful for them.

Although this may seem simple, it is so easy to make someone's day better to know they have a real purpose in someone's life. We are so thankful for so many individuals in our lives whether they play a big or small role. Let these individuals know. Let them know they are valued and important.

5. Start a Grateful Diary.

I know diaries sound cheesy after all we are not in elementary school anymore. However, jotting down all the things to be grateful for definitely puts it into perspective. I started to do this. I simply write two things to be grateful for in the day. Even the days that seem awful, you can find something to be grateful for. Trust me it can turn a bad day around.

I hope these five tips can help you slowly make everyday a day filled with "Thanksgiving" because everyday there is something great or small you can be thankful for.

Wanna read more from the Millennials of Texas? Check out our community page here.

Follow our Facebook page for all the newest articles!