5 Times Gender Roles Never Mattered

5 Times Gender Roles Never Mattered

"Today YOU are YOU. That is TRUER than TRUE. There is no one alive that is YOUER than YOU." -Dr. Suess

93
5 Times Gender Roles Never Mattered
Kate Heddleston

I've been a big believer in always doing what you like and encouraging it. Some of this could include things such as what you wear, if you wear makeup, or how you cut your hair. Gender roles today are so twisted by the rest of the world, as well as other people who tell you how to dress or act. But today in 2016, you are able to do whatever you like. Even back then you could have, because no matter what you identify as you should be able to use what you enjoy. Here are five gender roles you should be able to break free of today's society!

1. Make-up or No Make-Up

There is a stigma that has been seen plenty of times throughout media. One of them would have to be the thought that women must always wear makeup on the daily, or they should even like wearing it. Another is that people should or should not like makeup. For example, it is seen by some people that men should not wear makeup and women should. Personally, I have seen many people who LOVE makeup, even transgender men or women, they are also usually way better at it then I am as well. They are so good I'm jealous and I want them to teach me all the skills of their makeup. It can also be seen on people who identify as nonbinary, genderfluid, etc. A couple of favorite self-taught makeup artists would have to be @NECROMANCING and @evanjaquez! (Bella is actually recently graduated cosmetology school and I think that's super rad, you're killing it Bella!)

Now as for the stigma behind people who do not like makeup, is that sometimes people just do not care for make up! Humans are solely meant for the purpose of their curiosity in many things and it doesn't have to be dependent on your gender or sexuality, plenty of my friends in high school never enjoyed it and chose not to wear it and they were beautiful either way with or without it. Or even the gender they identified as!

2. Long or Short Hair

Sometimes, but not always, I either hear people telling people- no matter what they identity- on how to or to not wear their hair. I personally have always encouraged anyone to chop off their hair short and are too afraid to or grow out their hair. It's almost a challenge for anyone who is stuck in their ways to explore aspects of themselves they never have before. What if they never end up liking it? What is all boils down to is that it is what is: it's just hair. It'll grow back. So if you're thinking about it, chop your hair off! Change it up! You'll be surprised at what could happen and who knows you might end up liking whatever you choose to do!

3. Girl clothes? Boy clothes? Who cares? Just clothes!

I have definitely worn something that was off the guy's rack and I'm sure many people have. Same with men, women, someone who is nonbinary, trans, etc. I mean, why not? Who is stopping us? No one! We slay it in our cute dresses as well as our really adorable button up shirts. Even cute boxers or even bras, bralettes, or any type of clothes! We'll suit up in anything that is cute, because a lot of the time the people that worry too much about what you wear don't matter all. If you feel comfortable in a dress, you wear that dress! If you feel comfortable in a crop top wear that dang crop top and be the beautiful human that you are! One of my favorite people on Twitter, who is shows it's okay to wear you want is @thejefferymarsh they are so beautiful and kind!

4. Hair? No Hair? We were all born with it anyways!

Anyone has seen a stigma behind hair bits of people has known what the media has taught us and it's that; no one should have this unless they are a cisgendered male! Having hair anywhere that is not approved by what others tell you is completely weird if you think about it, some people like shaving and others do not. It's all personal preference to what someone likes. It doesn't change them whatsoever which is super cool, hairy or not. What matters is how you are as a person, not what is underneath your pits or your legs!

5. DO WHAT YOU MAKES YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE!

NEVER EVER, let someone tell you to dress or act differently because it is not assigned to your gender or you are not aloud to! Being you is the best person a human could be, you like wearing makeup, dying your hair, getting piercings, tattoos, wearing dresses, wearing t-shirts, not wearing makeup. Whatever it may be, being a beautiful human is only defined by what is on the inside or what you like to be. No one can tell you who you are or what you like. Keep rocking out and wearing bright red lipstick and cutting your hair or even growing it out! You're beautiful. Stay that way.