The only light at the end of the tunnel during finals week was getting to see my family and friends. I was so excited to get on the road and tackle the four-and-a-half-hour drive from ULM to New Orleans. One week later and I had said, “I wish I was in Monroe right now,” ten times. Whenever I said this I was also thinking:
- Where is my freedom? I have gotten so used to just going to the store or going to get something to eat without having to tell anyone where I was going. Having to text my mom when I get to my friend’s house and when I am leaving has gotten quite annoying.
- If I have to swipe my card one more time...In high school it felt like I had so many friends but now that I am home and there are only a few I am willing to go out with. We usually go out to eat or go get coffee but for a person with $18 in his or her bank account… I’ll pass.
- Chores…what are those? The night I got home my family went out to eat. Before our food got to the table I had a list of days I had to pick my brother up and bring him to the other side of the world. The only benefit is that my mom said she would pay for gas…Blessed be the name. I woke up the next morning to see a list of chores to do before work. I haven’t done dishes in three months and here I am doing them every night.
- Why do I have so much stuff? When I made it home I threw all three duffle bags and two trash bags in my room to unpack nearly a week later. I have never seen my car so full. I swear I had less stuff when I moved in.
- Is it too late to sell my organs on the black market? The holiday season aka the giving season has just passed. I am all down for receiving but if I do not have enough to buy myself coffee why would I have enough money to buy some cousin a gift? I started working at my high school job and I was so happy to see everybody. But, by the end of the day, my feet hurt and I just want to sleep. And my dad asks me why he hasn’t seen my floor in a week.
I love being home and I don’t want to go back to school, but I wish I could just be lazy and watch Netflix all day.