5 Things You Learned Growing Up As The "Fat Friend"

There's always one in the group....and it was me.

120

Growing up in a small town, you go to school with the same people all 13 years. When I made my first friends in elementary school, I didn’t know that 15 years later, most of us would still be very close friends. We were all pretty similar but, there was always one big difference between me and my friends from about 3rd grade on. I was the “fat” friend. Here are 5 things I learned from growing up as the “fat” friend:

1. You were never able to share clothes with your friends.

This has always bothered me and still continues to bother me. I always had to make sure I had enough t-shirts or underwear when I was over at a friends house because I was never able to borrow any. This also means the only thing my friends ever borrowed from me was sweatshirts. I can’t blame them because who doesn’t love an over sized sweatshirt. This taught me to take pride in my own style and that 7 high school girls matching from head to toe was just weird.

2. You would be the best friend instead of the girlfriend.

As much as I hate to admit it, boys would rather have us as their best friend rather than their arm candy. At least that’s how my personal experience went. We were the girl they could joke around with and be who they really are. Boys didn’t have to put on a show to impress us because they know we would accept them as they were. In the end, this worked out the best for me because I didn’t get my heart broken by every boy that looked my way.

3. It always surprised people when you could be athletic as the other kids.

“Man, she might be chubby but she’s pretty good at this.” I overheard this conversation at a volleyball game in high school. Once again I was surrounded by skinny really athletic people but I could hold my own with them. Don’t get me wrong, you could tell a difference from me and the ones that would get scholarship but I was decent. If this didn’t put a smile on your face, I don’t know what would.

4. You never cared what anyone thinks about you.

On the inside you might be the most insecure person but no one would ever know because you learned to not care what anyone else thought. In my case everyone else was too worried about what my friends were wearing or looked liked, so I got to do whatever I wanted. This taught me a lot about how to be independent for myself and helped me figure out my true identity.

5. You were never fat.

Just because you are a little bigger than everyone else does not make you fat. Love your body and love yourself. Don’t give in to society’s pressures of always wanting the perfect body. You were made perfect just the way you are! Just because some of us aren’t a size 2 doesn’t mean we have kick butt talents hidden within us somewhere just waiting to get out. Get out there and show the world who you really are and never be ashamed of that!