5 Things You Actually Do Need In The Dorms

You know the do-not's, but do you know the do's?

17
Flickr

So you've read lists on what not to bring to your college dorm and all the tips you can handle on how to get it all into your dorm (maybe even my list and tips), but do you know what you do need? Since I consider myself in-the-know about the latter two topics, I figured I would throw together a list of the things I feel benefited me the most during my first year of college in the dorms.

1. A printer

I know your campus probably has a printing station that you think you'll utilize, but I promise when you finish a paper that's due the next day in your nine a.m class at eleven p.m, you're not going to want to have to figure out how much earlier you have to leave in order to get your paper printed in time. Save yourself the trouble, buy a printer, print your paper that night, and go to bed knowing you don't have to worry about getting it done ten minutes before your class starts the next day.

2. A vacuum

I really did not want to spend money on a vacuum. Brooms are so much cheaper. And they will get the job done, but you'll definitely still be left feeling dirty if you walk barefoot across your dorm floor after having just swept. Do yourself a favor and just buy a vacuum. I promise it's worth it and you will definitely get plenty of use out of it for its cost.

3. Mattress pad

Initially, I was pretty sure I could get away without a mattress pad in my dorm room. I ended up with two, if that tells you anything. Dorm room mattresses are little more than a thin sheet of plastic set atop a hard spring-box bed frame. There's nothing worse than being homesick and having a cruddy bed. Invest in a mattress pad, or maybe two and save yourself back pain, sleepless nights, and a whole lot of uncomfortable frustration.

4. Rain gear

I'm not just talking about a single umbrella. If you're like me, you were previously spoiled with a highschool that had all inside classes. You made it through the rain getting into the building, but then you were good until the end of the day when you had to leave. In college, you're walking outside all day long. Raining already means it's the most miserable situation possible, but being in the rain without adequate gears might as well be certain death. You're going to need an umbrella, a rain jacket, and shoes that can withstand rain. What's more, I'd go so far as to say you need two types of shoes that can withstand the rain. One for the summer and one for the winter, depending on how drastic seasons are where you live. For me, I have Chacos for the summer and rainboots for the winter.

Another tip is to get your rain jacket a few sizes too big. You can put it over your backpack and also make sure that more than just your shirt is staying dry. You might feel a little silly walking around in a rain jacket that looks more like a rain dress, but I promise you won't feel silly when you're the driest kid in your class.

5. A roommate agreement

I know this one is vastly different than the previously listed items, but it might just be the most important. I can't imagine anything more annoying than someone who does things that drive you up the wall. For instance, you might want to decide on taking out the trash agreements, cleaning toothpaste off of the sink, going to bed at a certain time during finals week, and so forth.

All in all, this set of items will definitely make your first year in college a little easier. I know they definitely helped me out!