5 Things to Remember While You Take Back Your Health

"Healthy" can have many definitions, but here are a few ways to make sure you're doing what's best for you

313

In a world of super foods, fitness gurus, and people who just seem to have it all together, taking back your health can seem absolutely unattainable. I'm here to tell you it's not impossible. You can do it, you just need some help getting through. Here are five things to remember on your journey to taking back your health.

1. Success is not linear.

There will be days when you feel like the progress has stopped showing up. Or a slip up may cause you to backslide in your progress (find a way to replace one of the progress words). In these times, it is so important to remember that success is never linear. The struggle of the journey will only make the success that much sweeter. As long as you're doing something, you're doing great, remember that.

2. Exercise can be fun if you find what works for you

Try to find ways of getting your heart rate going that also bring you joy. Dance workouts are my personal favorites, but maybe for you, it's a calm yoga session or even a long walk with a friend. Making workouts fun can turn the chore of exercise into an activity you excitedly anticipate.

3. Never be afraid to be creative while improving your food

It is a common misconception that there are a select few "healthy" meals you can eat when trying to lose weight or regain your health. This idea is simply not true. If you don't like avocado toast, I promise you there is another breakfast out there that will provide you with the satisfaction and nutrients you're craving. Don't be afraid to test your creativity in the kitchen or even find ways to alter the dishes you love. Some broccoli added to your regular bowl of mac and cheese provides fiber, vitamins, and texture to a dish you already love. And if you don't like broccoli, try cauliflower, brussels sprouts, or even zucchini!

4. Water, Water, Water.

Clean eating can only do so much for you. The real star of your journey should be your water intake. I like to set small goals for myself using my water bottle. I've finished my 32oz water bottle once today; let's see if I can finish two more by five o'clock. I could sit here and list every benefit of drinking water, but you'd be reading forever. That is how many advantages of drinking water will bring you. However, I will note that water is a great way to flush out any toxins in your body. In a pandemic, water is always a good idea.

5. Be kind to yourself

While you may be looking to change aspects of your physical health, you must take the time to prioritize your mental health as well. Though exercise and a well-balanced diet can positively impact your mental health, there will always be days when you feel off. On those days, remind yourself of the courage and strength you've expressed in your journey so far. Write down your feelings and allow yourself to feel them; they are yours, after all. And finally, being proud is allowed! You have every right to feel good about yourself; when those feelings arise, celebrate them, you deserve it!