5 Things To Do If Your World Is Falling Apart

It's time to take a step back and put yourself first.

141

If you are a human, then you experience stress every now and then, whether it's school, or your job or for a reason you yourself don't even know. It may feel like your world is crashing down around you, leaving you feeling utterly helpless and hopeless. Here are some tips to help you through this scary time.

1. Breathe.

The best thing you can do for yourself right away is take deep, even breaths. Breathe in for eight seconds, then exhale for eight seconds. If this alone doesn't help, try doing this breathing while sitting with your head between your knees. Continue this for a minute or so, or until your head clears. This will greatly calm your brain and reduce your stress levels.

2. Talk to someone.

There's one thing that you need to remember when you're feeling this way: You are not alone. Though it may feel that way, I guarantee the person sitting on the other side of the room has felt the same way at some point of their lives. Get into contact with someone you know will listen to you, whether it's your best friend, your significant other, one of your professors or even a pet. Even if you don't want to talk, having another being in the room will make you feel less alone, and help you see that everything is going to be OK.

3. Get comfortable.

Take some time and treat yourself. Take a bath. Put on your most comfy pajamas. Eat that emergency junk food stashed behind your books. Wrap up in a blanket and listen to your favorite music, or watch that Netflix series or read that book that you've been putting off all semester. Letting yourself do something relaxing and fun will take your mind off of the issue for a while, making it shrink down from an impossible task, and into something you can manage.

4. Get organized.

Put on some tunes and tackle whatever mess you've been avoiding, whether it's your room, car, desk or just your calendar. It may take a while, but once your life is in order, and everything is back in it's place, you'll feel much more prepared to face whatever the universe is throwing your way.

5. Trust yourself.

Although times are tough right now, you are living proof that you can make it through this. You know how your mind works, and, in the end, you know what makes you happy.