5 Things To Remind Yourself On New Years

2017 was a trip, so here's to you surviving it!

246
Erin Lanahan

We made it! It's 2018! 12 very long months have come and gone and it's time for a fresh start.

Well, kind of a fresh start. I won't lie to you, I always end up making a long list of resolutions in December that never get to see February. Of course I talk about working out, eating better, and overall getting healthier. Yet somewhere around January 14th, you can catch me taking naps instead of running laps.

I feel like a lot of people tend to focus on the negative when making these resolutions towards New Years. Obviously you want to improve upon yourself, but I think everyone deserves to compliment themselves after a tough year.

Here are 5 things you should remind yourself this New Years Eve.

1. You look great!

Look at you! You look amazing! You don't need the crazy diets or tiring workout routines to look great. I know it can be intimidating looking online and seeing all the workout threads, but you don't need to do that.You are a beautiful person, inside and out. No ridiculous fads can change that. Why change perfection?

2. You are loved.

It's true! You are loved by many! Your family and your friends all care about you and want the best for you. Look back at how awesome the people in your life are, and how they were there for you when you needed them the most. I am so lucky to be surrounded by so many awesome friends and lovely family members and I am happy they are so involved in my life. Give your loved ones an extra hug this holiday season as a thank you!

3. You don't need him (or her).

Maybe you didn't have a great relationship this year. Maybe a friendship turned sour, or you suffered some heartbreak. Don't let that get you down! Look at that as a learning experience. The way you handled it can say a lot about how you have grown as a person. It might not feel like it right now, but you will be able to move on without that person in your life! You now know what a toxic relationship may look like and know how to avoid it again. The future could look a lot brighter now that you cut some darkness out of your life. Just know those experiences canhelp shape you to be the boss you are today!

4. You did a lot this year.

Big accomplishments or small, you still got a lot done. Maybe you started college, or got into the school of your dreams, or started an awesome new job! Maybe you just got out of bed this morning, remembered to get your homework done, or cleaned your room, which should be celebrated! From the big moments to the small victories, you were able to accomplish a lot this year. Don't forget about everything you achieved.

5. You made it!

12 whole months have come and gone and here you are! You lived through 365 days! Looking back, you may have had a great year, accomplished great things, and met some great people! Huge congrats to you! Then again, maybe your year wasn't so great. Maybe some things didn't go your way, but good news, you have a brand new year to take on now! Whatever you decide to do with your time, make the best of it. Sometimes all we need to get better is a fresh start.

This December 31st, when you're waiting for the ball to drop in Times Square, don't jump too quick to 2018. Remind yourself of all the positive moments you had in 2017, no matter how small they might've been.

Stay safe, stay happy, and have a Happy New Year!