5 Things I'd Rather Do Than Fall in Love

It's not that falling in love is bad, in fact, it's a beautiful, wonderful, amazing thing.

142
234 Forum

For me, falling in love has always been a complicated thing. Because I don't necessarily do it easily, and if I find myself falling for someone, I usually try to stop myself before I get in too deep. I don't want to set myself up for unintentional pain, and I don't want to do anything impulsively. Case in point, the last guy, who also happened to be the first guy, I tried my hardest not to fall for but fell for anyway, didn't feel the same and completely unintentionally shattered me. And, I've since been trying to pick myself up and put myself back together.

Thankfully, he's one of my greatest friends and his continued friendship and intentional attempts to show he cares have been appreciated, and, although, I am not entirely sure how helpful they have been, they have at least let me know that I'm still important and he hasn't completely rejected me. But, I'm still a little sore, although most days I'm okay, and I improve with each day.

With that being said, after the initial heartbreak, I complied a list of things I'd rather do than fall in love. Not that falling in love is a bad thing, because it's not. In fact, it's a beautiful, wonderful, amazing thing. However, I have never been someone who has put it really high on my list of future goals. And that's not a recent thing; it's something I've believed for a while. I've just always been an independent person who has so many other goals for her life that don't involve falling in love. But, when, and if, it happens, I'll embrace it. I just don't go out looking for it. So, here's a list of things I'd rather do than fall in love, and a list of things that may be just as good as falling in love.

1.Travel the world.

Okay, I know this is so incredibly cliche, and I hate cliches, but hear me out. As much as I hate cliches, I have found that I love adventures and new places more. I've been to Seattle twice--and I have fallen more in love with that city each time (and I know that's an incredibly cliche city, but it's so perfectly beautiful for so many reasons). I have been to Kenya--where I left a huge piece of my heart. I have always dreamed of going to France, not only Paris (because that's a cliche too you know) but also Lyon, Nice, Marseille, the country side, and the mountains. I've dreamed of going to Switzerland (the airport doesn't count), and Chicago, and Alaska, and Australia and London. I've always wanted to see the world because there is so much of it to experience and there is so little I have experienced. So, go and experience the world.

2. Study science.

Science has always been a great love of mine. From dissections, to explosions, to beautifully colored solutions, science has always been something that gave me a sense of joy, of purpose. And, as I stand now, I am not one hundred percent sure where that love will take me--or if I will even end up pursuing a career in this thing I love (although I hope I will). But, I am sure that I still love it, and, if God wants me to do something with that--I will. Maybe I'll make some scientific discovery that leads to an enormous breakthrough. Maybe I'll just work in a lab all day and do nothing profound or amazing, but I'll just simply be challenging my mind while doing what I love. Maybe I'll end up doing none of these things. But, that doesn't really matter. Because, instead of falling in love with a person, I'm going to fall in love with my passions. So, fall in love with molecules, or poetry, or art, or history. Whatever you love--love it.

3. Change the world.

I went on a missions trip to Kenya this summer, and ever since then I have been seriously thinking and praying about going on another one. I have heard things from people, learned things from classes, and read articles that have made me realize that there are more people out there who need my help. There are more people who need the love I have to share and the abilities I have to share it. So, I don't know what your life calling is, but I know that everyone has something they are passionate about and wish to devote their lives to. So, instead of falling in love with a person, fall in love with the idea of helping others--with the idea of loving and changing the world.

4. Go to a Superbowl.

I love football, and I have never once been to a game. And, I figured there is no better game to go to than a Superbowl. Being there, experiencing the people, absorbing the atmosphere, hearing the cheers, and taking in the sights would be so amazing. Even if I couldn't actually really see what was happening, I would love to experience it. And this could go for any sport you love- basketball, baseball, hockey. Buy tickets to the NBA finals or World Series or Stanley Cup. I'm going to save up enough money to go. Maybe I'll go alone. Maybe I'll invite a friend (or my sister). Or, maybe by that time I'll have fallen in love, and I might be nice enough to invite him to come along with me.

5. Spread love.

I have always wanted to spread love. To everyone. Everywhere. I want to adopt an adorable Kenyan orphan. I want to adopt a thousand tiny puppies. I want to have three or four little mini me's running around. I want to travel the world to far off places and share my passions, love, and desire to change the world. Spread love to everyone. Share love with everyone.