5 Things My Dogs Have Taught Me

5 Things My Dogs Have Taught Me

An ode to our best friends

110
5 Things My Dogs Have Taught Me

Whether I'm simply passing by a dog on the street, or I'm actually petting my own dog, I am inclined to believe that I have an addiction to these furry creatures. For those Americans that share this same passion, it's one that's the most rewarding and probably the healthiest out of many other possible vices. However, I am still lead to questioning why is it that we are so attached to dogs? And what is it about them that causes Americans to spend a total of 60 billion dollars annually? Much of this strong addiction can be traced back to the earliest traces of a human-canine relationship which has been estimated to be nearly 13,000 years old. But again, what exactly were the innate character traits in a dog that seem to make them such a good investment, if not such a permanent friend?

1.Conscientiousness

The moment I walk through my door, I immediately am greeted by my dogs. Sounds like the typical response that we as humans have grown to expect from our tail-wagging pals. But what is it about this habit that is so endearing to us? To me, it seems that people always want to be recognized and admired. Dogs seem to be more conscious and capable of satisfying this desire in human than other humans actually are. In fact, scientists have studied their uncanny ability to read physical gesture and nonverbal cues such as facial expressions, finding there are acuter at detecting human emotion than any other animal including primates. This leads to their perfect timing and that sense of attachment that we cannot help but recognize as being unique.

2. Honesty

I have strongly come to realize the importance of honesty and how it provides a strong basis for a healthy relationship. Dogs are quite possibly one of the most direct and honest creatures. This makes sense as to why most people trust their dogs more than they trust other people. You can tell just by looking at their face what they're feeling or thinking and that is what makes being around dogs so easy. You have a companion that is not afraid to admit that he is always going to be there for you. At the same time, they also need the same type of interaction from you. The mutual trust between the dog and its owner is what leads to a solid foundation.

3. Loyalty

Secondary to honesty, loyalty seems to be another key ingredient to a successful relationship. Dogs are well known for their unequivocal dedication to humans. Stories documenting dogs saving their humans are commonly heard throughout the news, and can be seen commonly by the very presence of work dogs. People, in general, have a hard time emulating this quality in their relationship. It's surprising to see that an animal is capable of possessing this characteristic more so than humans themselves.

4. Enthusiasm

Scientists have noted that spending time with your dog every day leads to reductions in depression and can be beneficial to the overall mental state of a human. Whether it's going out to the backyard, running to their food bowl or going to the vet, dogs are enthusiastic about everything. Well... maybe not about going to the vet. But essentially, dogs face every day with a wealth of enthusiasm that seems to be somehow communicable to humans. Everyone has heard of the saying "positivity is infectious", so it makes sense that dogs somehow lend themselves towards making humans more passionate and positive.

5. Growth

Like most Americans, I am often motivated by my dogs to be a more responsible and caring person. Whatever the reason, dogs seem to be a highly pragmatic source for self-improvement. I will always remain loyal to this breed mostly, because of the way they have remained loyal and taught me to do the same. Whatever the reasoning behind why you are a proud dog owner, it's safe to assume that the relationship between dogs and humans is not going away anytime soon.