5 Things I Miss From Puerto Rico

5 Things I Miss From Puerto Rico

As they say, home is where the heart is.
396

No matter where I go or how long I am there for, it is almost inevitable for me not to miss home. Studying at Villanova can make my homesickness spike enough, but being farther away in London has made me miss home a little more than usual. For this reason, I have compacted a list of the 5 things I miss the most.

1. My family and friends

In my last post I talked about how much I hated goodbyes, but I will say it again, I HATE GOODBYES. I miss my family like crazy and I don’t understand how people can go so much time without seeing their loved ones. It drives me crazy knowing that I can’t be with them and see them as I please and the time difference is not helping.

2. My bed

I know this sounds weird, but hear me out. No matter how comfy another bed is or how much you personalize it, nothing will compare to your bed back home. To get in bed with your sheets, that very familiar and calming smell of home cuddling you, I would not trade that for anything.

3. The weather

Listen, I realized that studying outside of Puerto Rico would imply cold weather, but I was not expecting the cold that I experienced. Let me be completely honest, the lowest temperature I could possibly have in PR is maybe 59 degrees Fahrenheit, in the top of a mountain, mid-December, in the middle of the night. And, speaking of mid-December, I can go to the beach in the middle of Winter Break. Who wouldn’t miss that?

4. The food

This one gets to me way too much. Have you ever had mofongo with “carne frita”? If the answer to this question is yes, then you know exactly why I miss it so much; if the answer is no, please make your way to your nearest Puerto Rican establishment and bless your life. Also, there is nothing better than a good plate or “arroz con habichuelas, bistec y tostones” (rice and beans with steak and fried plantain). Puerto Rican food is sent down to us by angels, I kid you not.

5. The culture

There is something about my island and its people that makes it feel like home (apart from the fact that it is). I’d call it culture, that something about how the people are back home is what really makes me miss not being there.

It is totally normal to miss home, no matter how far you are from it. If anything, missing home makes me appreciate and embrace where I am from; I encourage all who feel this way to do the same.

Puerto Rico, I love you!