5 Things I Learned From Failed High School Relationships

"Friend's drift apart even if we don't want them too and that's okay."

36
Stocksnap

1. Communication Is Key.

My mom always told me "nothing ever gets solved if no one is willing to talk about it." If there is a problem at hand, never be afraid to speak how you feel. I know most of the time you think "well I guess it doesn't bother me at all," but you don't always have to keep it all bottled up. Talk about what upsets. When you talk about your issues, you will feel 100 times better than you did before. Even if you feel that your problems are a burden, they aren't. It's always better to talk about them face to face because feelings can get lost or twisted when they are sent in text.

2. Not Every Friend Should Be Your Closet.

High school is the place where you meet the friends that make those memories that you will look back on for the rest of your life. You will meet people who seem to care about you as much as you do them and that's okay. I'm not saying that caring about someone a lot is a bad thing, but don't beat yourself up when a person doesn't deem to be as invested. A large group of friends is good to hangout with, but not all of them need to know everything. A few close friends and some acquaintances will be enough to have deep conversations with. Since I've graduated, my large group of friends went separate ways but I have two really close friends who are still there for me even if we don't get to hangout as much as we want too.

3. Relationships Can Be One-Sided.

Like I mentioned in my last point, not everyone will be as invested in a relationship and not everyone will want to keep a relationship. For a small portion of my high school experience I wanted everyone to be my friend, but I realized that only a few actually wanted to have a relationship. I still tried to be a cheerful companion, but I also stopped beating myself up when they didn't want my attempt at friendship. It eventually became so much easier for me to interact with people with realizing that I do not have to try and be friends with literally everyone.

4. It's Okay To Let Go.

Friend's drift apart even if we don't want them too and that's okay. It's just apart of growing up and getting older. It will come to a point where the friendship grows apart because you have become too different or you don't have enough time for each other. I speak about this from experience and I'm telling you that it's okay. I was friends with this girl and we thought we were going to be best friends till the day we died. We did everything together and we even were the captains of the rowing team. We both eventually got jobs and started growing apart because we were too busy. We both accepted the fact that friendships grow apart and its never anyone's fault that it happens.

5. You Will Learn Something From Every Relationship.

I have learned something from each and every relationship I have been in. We all grow and how I care about all these people will never change. David Burtka said "a relationship is work, and it changes. And you go with the changes. It's more good times than bad times, but it's not always good. You have to overcome those issues and move on." Because of the people I have met in high school, I have changed and grown, and for that I am forever grateful.