What I Learned After One Semester Of Speech And Debate

The people I have met in the forensics community have changed my life and the way I view it.

243
Sydney Metz

When I was told that I was going to be a graduate assistant for Marshall University Thundering Word (also known as the speech and debate team), I was over the moon. It was awesome knowing that I was going to get to use my theatre degree in my post undergraduate life so soon after graduating. At the time, I didn’t know that it was going to be the best thing to ever happen to me. The people I have met in the forensics community have not only changed my life, but the way I view life.

Here are the five things that I have learned from the forensics community.

1. My mind can be changed.

Going into this semester, I had set values and opinions on pressing political and social matters that I thought could never be changed. Boy, was I wrong. The speech community has opened my eyes to how society can use creativity and art to project the effects of social injustice. The community has taught me how passion and tone convey a thought. Speech has taught me that situations of laugher are also situations of sadness. I have learned to wake up and doing something that matters. The forensics community has forever opened up my eyes, and made me realize the power of opinion.

2. There is power in passion.

When a student presents a piece or a speech, they exude immense amounts of passion that is intoxicating for a listener. When a student is passionate about what they have to say, I feel the energy. My thoughts are provoked. The students at speech and debate tournaments have taught me the power of passion and how it’s the driving force in the fight for justice. Passion is a remarkable thing.

3. There are some societal issues people never consider.

Some of the speeches I have heard throughout this past semester have completely blown my mind. This is because I didn’t even know they were issues. As I hear a student speak, I quickly understand that this topic is a larger issue. I’m glad somebody is addressing it. I wouldn’t even have opinions on some of issues if it wasn’t for the hard work of the forensics community, who continually sheds light on topics that have been shoved in the darkness for too long.

4. Unity is gold.

The best thing I have witnessed as a coach for the speech and debate team at Marshall University is the camaraderie that forms between my students and students from all over the country. The friendships that my students make at tournaments are some of the most beautiful friendships I’ve ever witnessed. They have a strong bond and connection with each other, even if they only get to see each other a few times a year. This is because they share the same common interest - they want to make the world a better place, learn and strengthen their opinions, and speak up for what they believe in. At the national tournament this year, one of our students received second place. Of course our team was ecstatic and so proud of her, but the thing I will never forget is when I looked around the room and saw members from other schools screaming her name, standing on chairs, and cheering.That is winning.

5. The world needs this community now more than ever.

I am a first-year grad student who has personally felt the effects of this powerful community. The number one thing I have learned is how important speech and debate is. Speech and debate needs valuable exposure to demonstrate how important their voices are. These students speak with dignity, respect, integrity, passion, hope, and poise. They are the people you want in front of a camera. Some of these brilliant speakers are people I could see in our government one day. The world is a pretty broken place right now. The forensics community is a group of people who desire change and I know that they will use their words to do so.

We as a society need to listen to what the members of the forensics community have to say. You never know - maybe it will change your life too.