5 Things I Am Thankful For This Year Despite COVID-19

Thanksgiving may look different this year, but gratitude is a value that will never change.

31

As we all know, 2020 really sucked. Overall, it has not been a fun time for anyone. While this year has been terrible, I am grateful for everything that has happened. It's very confusing to say, but these are five things I am thankful for.

1. Strength & Uncertainty

We got used to routines and expectations of everyday life. Then, a pandemic hit and disrupted everything. In this uncertainty, my friends and family became a rock I knew I'd always have. Together, we grew strong in navigating the world not knowing what will happen next.

2. Friends

I love each and every one of my friends. There was no prom, graduation, or a normal college freshmen experience for us this year. Despite the situation, we still made the best of it and made amazing memories I will never forget.

3. My First Fall Semester

Although many things were canceled and classes went remote, I still had a great time. During this time last year, I had no idea where I was going to college or that my first semester would be spent on Zoom. However, I am grateful I was able to live on campus and to end up at Penn State.

4. The Pandemic

How could I be thankful for such an awful thing? Well, I took a step back and found gratitude. Science and technology are rapidly advancing as a result. People are socially distanced but are growing closer to each other than ever. In many areas, this virus is changing the world in ways we didn't think were possible.

5. Change

Honestly, change is scary but I am thankful for it. While everything right now is different than in previous years, but it's the beginning of a fresh start. We are the generation that will change the world for the better.

One day, we will look back at 2020 and be thankful we survived it.