What College Has Taught Me: Told By A Sophomore

The memories made and the lessons learned is what it's all about.

3
Danielle Brown

College is a time to get to know yourself, make friends you will keep for life, and make the most amazing memories.Throughout my first two years in college I have learned so many thing about myself and life.

1. No one knows what they are doing, and that's okay.

In high school, I would give myself so much anxiety thinking about the fact that I had to choose a major and do a job in that field for the rest of my life. Now, it is clear to see that some may have specific majors and some may still be undecided, but that's okay. We are only in college. There is no way we know exactly how our lives will pan out. That is not up to us. College has taught me that we can't stress about the future. All we can do is make good choices and live our lives. I'm not saying just totally blow off everything and not make plans. I'm saying to not worry about the little things. It's not just you that feels like a chicken with your head cut off. Everyone feels that way, trust me.

2. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE

Before coming to college, I never had to study, ever. I definitely had a culture shock when "just winging it" was not good enough. You can't wait until the last minute to study because nine times out of ten that ends in a big fat failure. Study a little at a time, and by the time the test comes around, you'll be golden.

3. Having good friends is SO important

College is a time where you are able to meet so many new and different people. If you are lucky enough, you will meet the greatest people ever AKA your best friends. Hopefully, you find the friends that will go with you at 2 a.m. to get ice cream, pick you up when you're just not feeling the party, and stay up all night and talk endlessly about everything under the sun. These people will be with you through the good, the bad and the ugly. Once you find these people that will become your college family, college will be so much easier.

4. Call your parents

I know that college is hard and you are constantly busy, but call your mom and dad. While you are off at the college they are paying for, they are missing you. You were at home all your life, but now you are suddenly gone and too busy to visit. One phone call will make their day. After all that they have done to get you to where you are, the least you can do is give them a call, or send them a text.Your parents will always be your number one fans, so give them a call when you need a little pick me up. Taking time to talk to your parents is more important than you think.

5. You can learn the most OUTSIDE of the classroom

Class is great, sure I learn about geology and math formulas, but college is an amazing and once in a lifetime experience. Go to football games, spring fling, and any random event that is going on. Meeting fellow students and making memories with your friends is what it is all about. Grades are important, don't get me wrong, but the things you will remember happen outside of the classroom. So don't be boring, go out and make memories. I am only a sophomore, but I am so thankful for all the memories I have made already. Go experience this thing called college!