5 Things You May Not Know About "Beauty And The Beast"

It truly is a tale as old as time.

115
Vanity Fair

Disney just released the final trailer for their new adaption of Beauty and the Beast and we are losing our freaking minds! But while we wait impatiently for March 17th, 2017 to be here, let me enlighten you with a few facts about the original animation movie "Beauty and the Beast."

1. Belle was pictured to be in her 20s.

Shout out to my ladies in the twenties!!! Heck, you beautiful women in your 90s, y'all are freaking QUEENS for supporting us dreamers!

2. Cogsworth is the MVP of improv!

You remember that scene between Cogsworth, Lumiere and the Beast when discussing something special to do for Belle? Let me refresh your memory...

"Well there's the usual things-flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep." - David Ogden Stiers

Yes, David Ogden Stiers completely improvised this line and the directors liked it so much they kept it! As kids we don't understand this saying, but watching it now we totally understand and are so grateful they decided to keep this piece of gold!

3. Dark and Gruesome

The first gruesome scene that was cut from the storyboard was a scene where the Beast is dragging a carcass of an animal he killed. The other scene that was ultimately cut was the scene after Gaston falls from the castle, originally he was supposed to be killed by wolves. Yikes!

4. Andrews vs. Lansbury

Julie Andrews was reportedly the first choice for Mrs. Potts. The role was given to legendary Angela Lansbury.

5. Lansbury sang "Beauty and the Beast" in one take!

Speaking of Angela Lansbury, when it came to recording Mrs. Potts singing the legendary "Beauty and the Beast" song that serves as the theme for this fairytale, Lansbury insisted her aging voice wouldn't suit the song. But she was talked into recording the beautiful song all in one take and the directors decided to use that one take. And thank goodness! The world needed Lansbury's beautiful voice in this lovely masterpiece!

As we count down the weeks and days until the live action film, we will just have to try and contain our excitement by watching...re-watching, the trailers. We will try to find anything that could possibly give us insight on what to really expect. One last detail to know about Belle is she is purposefully the only one in blue to be sure she stands out in a crowd. Belle is a heroine to many boys and girls in the world today; really, she very easily should be everyone's favorite princess. Just do you and don't pay attention to the haters honey, you are smart and talented and special. Channel your inner Belle and go get em tiger!