5 Spiritual Lessons We Can Learn From Bleach

Bleach is an extremely popular anime that has many spiritual applications.

1769
FanPop

"Bleach," based on the manga by Tite Kubo, is considered to be one of the most popular anime programs of all time. The series follows high school student Ichigo Kurosaki, who has the uncanny ability to see ghosts. One day, his life takes a turn for the even stranger when he crosses paths with Rukia Kuchiki, a woman who calls herself a soul reaper. She explains that it's the job of soul reapers to help the deceased move on to the afterlife known as the Soul Society. Additionally, they find corrupted human spirits known as hollows and defeat them using zanpakuto, or soul-cutting swords. When one of these monsters attacks Ichigo's family, Rukia ends up bestowing her powers on Ichigo so he can save them. Many adventures ensue afterward.

Because of this plot, countless spiritual lessons can be learned from this show. Here are 5 of them:

1. Becoming a believer changes you completely

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

This Bible verse relates really well for comparing Ichigo's awakening as a Soul Reaper and trusting Jesus Christ as savior. After Ichigo receives his powers from Rukia, years of adventure follow him no matter how much he tries to ignore it. Similarly, according to this verse, when you become a believer, your whole life changes completely in order to reflect the qualities of God as you grow closer to him.

2. Everyone has different gifts

"As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." - 1 Peter 4:10

All Soul Reapers are a member of a pseudo-military force in the Soul Society known as the 13 Court Guard Squads. As the series progresses, specific abilities found in each high ranking Soul Reaper's zanpakuto are revealed. The abilities usually reflect the Soul Reaper's personality. This works in the same manner for a believer's spiritual gifts. Depending on the person's personality type, that person can minister to other people in their own unique way. In addition, each distinct gift helps believers come together and unite as the Church.

3. All life has value

"What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor." - Psalm 8:4-5

In the world of "Bleach," there exist unique beings known as mod souls. These were created by scientists in the Soul Society in order to use corpses for combat. This was deemed unethical by the judicial system in the Soul Society known as the Central 46, who then proceeded to destroy all of the mod souls. However, one made an escape and somehow found his way into Ichigo's life. After a set of bizarre circumstances, Ichigo names the mod soul Kon and takes him in, who believes that all life has value whether not someone is a real person or not. Some individuals may not seem like normal people to us, but since God created every man in his image, every human being should be valued.

4. Struggles are normal

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

During a particularly long arc in "Bleach," there is a focus on Ichigo's struggle with a strange power within himself. He actually gained the powers of a hollow through certain circumstances. Though he gains immense power through the hollowfied part of his soul, this part occasionally takes complete control of him and makes him go berserk. Eventually, after much training, Ichigo is able to subdue his inner hollow. Everyone struggles with some issue in their life. However, we can all rest in knowing that if we ask God to help us with certain weaknesses and temptations, he will.

5. Friends are invaluable

"A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity." - Proverbs 17:17

The meaning of this Bible verse is a central theme of "Bleach." Many story arcs of "Bleach" focus on Ichigo helping friends who have been kidnapped or hurt in some way. It is this strong sense of loyalty and friendship that drives Ichigo through his quests. Friends are invaluable companions, and everyone needs at least one friend with whom they grow spiritually and spend time with.

I hope this gives you all something to think about!