5 Signs He's A Sexist

5 Signs He's A Sexist

Characteristics of a misogynistic man that every woman should be aware of.

2993
5 Signs He's A Sexist
The Huffington Post

Women have been objectified for years, simply because of our gender. Apparently, our dainty, freshly manicured hands and pretty faces don’t belong in the work place.

Our only job is to cook, clean, have children, and our work can never be equal to the work of men.

Men also think they’re being 'sweet' when trying to get our attention by cat calling. Sexual harassment can be very subtle. What's even more disappointing is that sexism is so intricately weaved into our political and social lives, women hardly identify these derogatory remarks as actually being sexist.

Sexism is very commonly found in the office, in relationships and even under our own roofs.

This isn’t an attack on the entire male population; On the contrary, I am quite aware that there are good men out there. This is for the women that can’t see sexism for what it is and are finally ready to put their foot down. This is for the men who think it’s OK to inflict their misogynistic views upon us.

1. He tries to get your attention by saying, “Hey sexy” or other obnoxious calls.

One day, I was walking around campus and a boy (accompanied by his group of friends) who was walking towards me greeted me with, “Hey sexy, what yo name is?” Not interested in him, his vernacular, nor his unattractive approach, I simply walked past him towards my room.

I suppose my lack of interest made him angry, because he proceeded to yell at me. “F*** you too then, b****,” he called after me. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe there are less derogatory ways for a man to approach a woman he finds attractive.

Some men don’t think of women as their equal and think its perfectly fine to call us whatever they want, approach us how they want and see nothing wrong in their actions. Then, if we ignore this cat call and simply walk away, we get called even worse derogatory things.

2. You’re already in a relationship and another guy insists he can treat you better than your significant other.

Initially, this doesn’t seem sexist at all. What’s wrong with a whimsical guy promising you better than how you're currently being treated? Maybe this guy has the best intentions and a genuine interest for you.

In reality, this idea implies that the young man in question not only doesn’t have respect for your relationship, but they also have no respect for you. Assuming you’re truly invested and emotionally committed in your relationship, you suddenly have a guy who is ballsy and authoritative enough to intrude in your relationship.

He is assuming that you want to be swept away from this person that has already given you the love and joy that you desired.

3. You're compared to a man because you like lifting weights and being a little rough.

This personally upsets me, because I’ve experienced this firsthand. In high school, I was on the wrestling team and, quite frankly, loved exhibiting my strength. I enjoyed showing boys that girls could do it twice as better as they did. I was on the track and field team in both high school and college, where I threw shot put and discus.

To be a thrower, one has to be extremely strong to throw an implement at maximum speed in under five seconds. Because of this, I often lift, and have the muscles to show for it. But, I receive nothing but ridicule from boys, mostly at how 'masculine' I am.

Championship-winning tennis player, Serena Williams, receives the same kind of ridicule because she also exhibits 'masculine' features.. There is nothing wrong with a female being physically strong, and we don’t have to fit this girly stereotype we have dangling over our heads.

We can do just as much as men, if not better.

4. Openly tolerates double standards.

It comes as no surprise that we live with an infinite number of hierarchal double standards solely based on gender. They restrict our freedom and impair our ability to lead secure, rewarding, autonomous lives.

The problem includes girls exhibiting more self-control and politeness, grossly different treatment of men and women as they age and use their body to express themselves, to distorted ideas about boys and girls 'natural abilities.'

If a man has trouble seeing you as his equal due to the double standards inflicted upon our society – guess what he is? I’ll give you a hint; it starts with an "S."

5. Religion is used as a means of keeping women quiet.

The ritualized silencing of women is practiced practically by almost all religions. According to most religions, access to the divine is mediated exclusively by men. This is legally unquestioned discrimination and its effects go far beyond places and practices of worship.

When a young girl is told she is not allowed to participate in ecclesiastical rituals because of her gender, she is being told that her voice is powerless and not respected.

I can only imagine being in a relationship where I am completely submissive to my partner because it’s my religious, lawful duty to do so. The hardest thing to come to terms with as a woman in regard to this specific topic is that even in the sacredness of religion, we are not allowed to have self-expression and freedom.

This is a relatively short list of grievances, but it is evident, through many women’s untold stories, that sexism is real, and most prevalent in our dwindling society. It regrets me to say this, but there isn’t much that we can collectively do about these misogynistic ideals.

However, as women in this struggle for equality, we can protect each other, stand up for each other, support each other, and remain diligent in our efforts to be seen as significant as men.

Ladies, never conform to an idea or stereotype placed upon you. Chase your wildest dreams and question the impossible.

As for the respectful men that are witnesses of this sexism: stick up for your women and be the example that will potentially change the unrealistic filter that’s been placed in front of us all.