5 Roof Safety Tip For The Spring Season
News

5 Roof Safety Tip For The Spring Season

We are already in the spring season. Soon, the long and heavy showers will be upon us. But before they arrive, are you prepared? Is your roof secured?

33
5 Roof Safety Tip For The Spring Season

.

The chances are that the snow of winter dealt around on your roof. And before you say your roofing material is sturdy, know that the intensity of snowfall can damage even the sturdiest roof.

The worst part: you won't notice the damage until the heavy showers pour down on your roof. When that happens, you would stand at the risk of mold infestation, asbestosis, and even skyrocketed energy bills.

Good news: you can avoid all the episodes of leaky and damaged roofs in spring. You only have to follow the maintenance tips in this article.

Inspect Your Roof

The first step to keep your roof safe for spring is to inspect it for faults. Now, you could do that manually from the ground level. However, there is a limit to what you can do.

Also, if you have a sturdy ladder and a friend around, you could climb up and see the conditions from the top. But, you might be limited to removing just debris and plant matter.

Bottom line: there is a limit to what you can inspect by yourself. Besides, you still have the insurance policy on your home to contend with. More importantly, it is unsafe without experience to climb your roofing. So, how can you protect it?

Engage a professional roofing company for your roof inspection. For effectiveness, let them decide how the process will go.

Take Out Animals Nests

Outside the usual indicators of a possible leaky roof like smooth or missing shingles, you should look out for animal nests. If your roof inspection comes out great, the nested animals in your home can soon damage it.

Take rats as an example; they will chew, dig, and burrow through your attic. These animals know that's the safest place to hide.

Unfortunately, their hideout can lead to several complications for you. You can avoid it all by clearing any animal nest in your home.

Beyond your home, clear all the nests in your surroundings. More importantly, keep your surroundings clean. Animals don't like being exposed; they won’t come near your home when it's neat.

Note: be careful when clearing out animal nests. If possible, wear protective equipment. Animals, especially the ones with young ones, can be protective. They might attack in a bid to protect their homes and kids.

Revisit Your Warranty

If the result of the roof inspection shows that your roofing needs repairs, don't be hasty in getting help. Don't get us wrong; the issue needs urgent attention.

But before you take the necessary actions, check your roof warranty. Is there any clause within it that covers the issue? The fault with your roof might even be from the manufacturer.

So, revisit your warranty. Afterward, consider the insurance on your home. Are you the owner? Or is the house a rental? More importantly, is there any policy on the home that should cover the repair of the damaged roof?

The last thing you should do is research the rules around the neighborhood. Ask around the home associations (if there are any) about the limitations on the repair allowed around the properties?

You might also need to inform the necessary bodies if your roof needs a complete overhaul that would disturb the neighborhood.

Repair The Damaged Roof

After sorting out the necessary paperwork, you can hire a professional roof repair company. However, you should be careful as many contractors pose themselves as "experts."

To avoid the trap, ensure that you hire professionals with experience repairing your kind of roof. More importantly, check their reviews. A little research on Google can reveal if you two will be a great fit.

Lastly, and most importantly, prioritize local experience over any random roof repair company. For example, if you live around Pittsburgh. We'll recommend that you hire Pittsburgh professional roofers. Since they work there, they have the required license to get things done. Plus, you'll find more Pittsburgh roofing contractor reviews about them from friends and neighbors.

After the due diligence, hire the preferred company. If the repair spans over weeks, you might want to get temporary accommodation.

Continually Monitor Your Roof

After the repair is over, don't take your eyes off your roof. From time to time, ensure you check if there are any holes or anomalies.

To make the job easy, you can create a schedule. That way, you will fix issues with your roof before they escalate.

Overall, your roof will ultimately need repairs and even changing down the line. But if you follow the care routines in this article, it (your roof) can last long enough for you to reap your money's worth.