5 Go-To Rom-Coms For When You Need A Smile

These movies are sure to steal and re-steal your heart.

7
Popsugar

As winter consumes us all and traps us in our homes, you might be itching to figure out what to do with yourself. If you don't have that answer already, I would highly advise you to binge a series on Netflix or watch a wonderful movie. I know that whenever it's cold and snowy outside, I want to watch something that's gong to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, which typically means that I end up watching a classic rom-com to take my mind off of the frigid weather. There are so many great choices out there -- we've truly been #blessed by the rom-com gods --, but here are just a few of my personal favorites in no particular order.

1. The Holiday

Since it is winter, this one is especially appropriate. I can never get enough of this movie. I mean, come on, Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, and Jack Black? How can you not love this movie? When two strangers with messy personal lives decide to switch homes for the Christmas holiday things get a little interesting. The women meet local men and, well... It is absolutely irresistible. Plus, there is a super cute old man who your heart will melt for. Believe me, this will make you so giddy it is ridiculous. Especially if you have a soft (ie: exceptionally gooey) spot for Jude Law, like me.

2. Serendipity

Keeping with the winter/holiday theme, this movie will make you believe in all things good and right in the world, then tear all of those beliefs into tiny little broken heart-shaped pieces over and over and over and over again, and then finally stitch them all back together to try to make up for what it just did to you. And it totally works. Considering I'm making a list of rom-coms, you could say that I'm a bit of a romantic. This movie all about fate and destiny in meeting "the one" truly speaks to that. Everything about each piece and clue leading to finding (or not finding; I'm not about to spoil it!) that person gets your heart racing a little faster until you just can't take it. Perfect for putting a smile on your face!

3. Because I Said So

If you have a close relationship with your mom (see: Yes, My Mom Is My Best Friend) then this might just be the rom-com you're looking for. When a mom gets way too involved in one of her daughter's relationships (she sets up an online dating profile and then goes on dates for her all without her knowledge.... line = crossed) hilarity ensues. You'll be dying to live the life that Mandy Moore has when she's dating two individually great guys with opposite personalities so it's basically like she's dating one super-man. No, not the guy in tights, just a really amazing dude. It has all the necessary components of a rom-com but you get the added warmth of a mother-daughter relationship and the ins and outs of it.

4. 27 Dresses

In my not-so-humble opinion, this is one of the best rom-coms out there. All of the wedding talk brings something so relatable to the movie because (almost) every little girl dreams about the day that they get to have their moment walking down the aisle. James Marsden has that perfect annoying charm of the boy who pulls on the girl's pigtails and you kind of want to hate him. But you also can't help but fall in love with him. If you're looking for something that has a fantastic budding romance and a bit of extra drama outside of that (hello sister drama), 27 Dresses is it.

5. How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

"Bullshit!" No, I'm not disagreeing with my own post and if you thought I was you clearly haven't seen this iconic film and should stop reading right now and watch it. Actually, keep reading, but you should definitely watch it when you're done. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey have some crazy chemistry even though Hudson is trying to drive him away and Mr. Handsome is trying to win her heart. Oh and if you didn't guess, all of that is happening in 10 days. It's a wild ride from start to finish and honestly, if a movie has Matthew McConaughey in it, do you even need any other reason to watch it???

What are you waiting for? Go! Get watching! These rom-coms won't watch themselves and you know you want to!