5 Reminders For The Utterly Confused Teenage Adult

The transitioning stage doesn't have to be scary!

11
Uloop

This is for those in the transitioning stage from teenager to adult. Graduating from high school into college. Expected to act like an adult, yet still treated like a baby. This is such a vulnerable time in our lives! We are slowly making decisions and taking risks, as we cross our fingers and hope for the best for our future, whatever that consists of. Some of us know what our major is and certain what we want our careers to be, or at least people pretend they know. Some of us are still testing the waters in different majors, knowing a gist of what we want to do, but still being completely worried because O.M.G. what will I be doing in 30 years from now?! As scary as it can be, you should see this as an exciting time. Things are slowly coming to an end, as beginnings are starting to form. Don't fret. You're not alone if you're an utterly confused teenager/adult right now. I'm wishing you the best of luck as I share 5 reminders that are super helpful when you feel as if you and your future are doomed. (Spoiler alert: Everything will be okay.)

1. There's always time.

Things can get crazy and hectic. Months are flying by as we are slowly getting closer and closer to making more and more crucial decisions that can ultimately effect our entire future. A lot of us are expected at the ages from 17-20 to go to college right after high school and somehow know what we want to do for the rest of our lives. In reality, this expectation is crazy for some people. We all live differently, with different ambitions, and obviously different working minds and bodies. Some of us know what school we want to be apart of, what degree and major to strive for, and what career to obtain. But for others, (maybe even majority of us?!), this expectation is just not functional. Try not to let the unknown stress you out or scare you. There is always time to go back to college in your 30's. There is always time to start fresh and do what you want to do. You aren't going to accomplish everything right away, so don't even try. Take it day by day, moment by moment, and take classes/learn new information about what you are interested in right now, or try something new in your life!

2. Listen to your heart.

We have a lot of distractions around us. We might have pressure from our parents, competition with our siblings, comparisons from our friends, or maybe an internal battle with our mind. Some of us are blindly following a path in our life right now because we don't want to disappoint our family, or maybe we are too terrified to let go of this safety net of going to college and getting a degree to actually pursue our big dreams. Wherever you are, just relax, breathe, and listen to your heart. Listen to that inner voice that you know is right. You know yourself the best, you know what your strengths and weaknesses are, and you most likely have visualizations of yourself doing what makes you purely happy. You are your best leader throughout your life. Support is an amazing tool to have, but sometimes you will only find the answers in your heart. You will also find great support internally from yourself too.

3. Everything is exactly how it should be right now.

My favorite mantra that I learned in yoga goes like this: "Everything is as it should be." Repeat that to yourself. That has always stuck with me and I have found faith and hope to truly believe and trust that mantra, and you should too. Everything is as it should be! Let go of your past and find peace in the moment by realizing that the future does not exist. The mistakes you have made last week, the discomfort in your life right now, whatever it may be that you're holding onto and stressed about, let it go for a moment and trust that everything is as it should be. Everything happens for a reason and it might not make sense right now, but it will through out your life. Find ease and comfort in the discomfort and stress life presents you with. Work with it and make the best of it. Sometimes hardships are just blessings in disguise.

4. It's not all about the destination...the journey is the best part.

Don't get me wrong, one of the best things you can do for yourself in your lifetime is to create goals for yourself. Long term goals, short term goals, New Year resolutions, educational goals, etc. Nothing is more motivating and inspiring than goal setting, especially throughout college and young adulthood. But something that I have learned throughout my life, which helped take pressure off of my future, is that life isn't all about just achieving those goals and getting to the finish line. In fact, life is almost entirely about the process and journey getting there. As proud and amazing as you feel when accomplishing a goal, nothing will compare to the feeling of growing, making mistakes, learning, appreciating, and really being present in the moment throughout the journey of obtaining your future goals. You might feel utterly lost right now because you don't know what your future holds, but I promise you this is the best part right now; the journey. Relax and smile.

5. You have a purpose here.

Each one of us here on Earth holds unique talents and gifts that nobody else can offer to the world quite as good as you can. You are one of a kind and it is a privilege that people can connect and talk to you, so they can learn new things and open up to different perspectives from you. In order to stop feeling helpless and lost, you have to believe this and know the truth of how worthy you are! Do things that make you happy and things that you actually want to pursue. Maybe it's a sport you are really good at, or a hobby you quickly picked up on. Maybe nobody can move people with music as much as you can, or maybe you are the best therapist that you can offer to your friends. Whatever it may be, we are all so special, and you should always remember that! Find your talents and gifts, and share them with the world.