5 Reasons Why You Should Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone

Sing at the top of your lungs and dance like no one is watching.

53
Isabella Vozza

Being shy can hold you back from many opportunities. I know this as a fact because I was really shy growing up. I would blush and stutter my words every time I had to give a presentation in front of my class. I would panic when it came to auditions for the middle school plays in drama class. The thought of being in front of a crowd of people freaked me out. With the help of my friends in high school, I became very outgoing. I put myself out there and eventually got over my fears. When we were growing up, we learned to do things that made us feel comfortable. The older you get, the more common it is to take chances. I mean, you can't always stay in your little bubble. Here are some reasons why people should step out of their comfort zone.

1. You make new friends.

You can gain new, long-lasting friendships when you put yourself out there. Everyone needs a group of friends who love to go out and have a great time. So grab your girlfriends at a party and dance like no one is watching because in the end, it's all about how much fun you're having.

2. Taking new risks helps you.

How does taking new risks help you? That guy or girl you think is cute in your 11 AM lecture class? Sit next to them. The next class, say "hello" and try to start up a conversation. Don't be afraid to talk to them. Start taking chances. Who knows, if you build up the courage it could possibly lead to something. Trust me, if you don't try you'll never know what could have happened. You'll regret not taking those chances and you don't want to live a life of regrets.

3. Real life is waiting for you.

Being shy isn't going to land you the internship or job you want. Companies look for someone who is social, people-oriented, organized, and fast-paced. It's important that you put yourself out there to show that you have all of those qualities. Volunteer and gain experience to put on your resume. If you have an important interview, ask a friend to create questions you might be asked and practice your responses. Trust me again when I say this: it helps. You might think it's dumb at first but the amount of confidence you gain is a huge plus. Do anything you can that could help you get that position.

4. You can overcome your fears.

If your main fear is public speaking, like me, you can overcome it. The more you speak in front of large groups of people, the easier it gets. If you're taking a language class and want to practice your speaking skills, do it! That's a step into helping you overcome the fear. Your classmates won't make fun of you if you mess up. You're all there for the same reason and that's to learn.

5. Have "oh well's" rather than "what if's".

What if I cancel this date tonight and just stay in? What if I send this text on another day? Stop asking yourself "what if" questions and just take the chance. Don't cancel a date on a nice guy because you're scared of what could go wrong. Maybe you won't have chemistry or maybe you won't get along over a touchy subject, but hey, at least you know he's not right for you. If you need to send an important text to someone, just send it. If the text is about spilling your feelings to a guy, send it. He might feel the same way about you. And if he doesn't, at least you put yourself out there. At least you tried. Then you can move on.

I want you to take these 5 reasons into consideration. Maybe after reading this article you'll think, "Hey, maybe she's right." I want you to land that internship or job you want. I want you to date the guy or girl you've been crushing on. I want you to have fun and not worry about the things that could go wrong. I want you to gain new experiences that will help you grow as a person.