5 Reasons Why Taking A Hot Bath Is Great

Ready to do some soaking?

46
Kayla Snell

It's really amazing how much a person can benefit from a little thing, whether it's a kind gesture, a simple word or action. With the pressure from time and responsibility constantly wracking on our mind, little things like these usually end up going unnoticed, forgotten, or blatantly ignored. We are all running in the rat race, ultimately leaving behind the feelings erupted from a sweet greeting, a child's laughter, or a hot, steamy bath.

When was the last time you took good soak in your porcelain cask? Probably a while, huh? It's probably safe to say that everyone looks forward to that next bath day, but if you're anything like me, you may need a little push to opt out of taking a quick shower. Other than good hygiene, a sweltering bath can leave you feeling like a brand new person in more ways than one.

1. Hot baths + essential oils = An array of benefits

Not only are the use of essential oils luxurious, but they can prove to be extremely helpful in relaxation and boosting health. Popular calming oils like lavender and roman chamomile can can aid skin conditions, while sage oil is known to improve memory. Want to start adding oils to your bath? Just remember that oil and water don't mix! Go Cleopatra style and add a cup of milk or carrier oil.

2. It's a natural sleep inducer.

Taking a hot bath before bed is the great way to ensure sleep. How can this be? Well, it's really a matter of temperature and hormones. The heat of the bath slowly raises your body's temperature, and when you hop out, it returns to a cooler state. This rapid drop in temperature triggers the brain to start producing melatonin. Studies have found that our bodies get colder by night naturally, and that people who take a bath before bed go to sleep quicker, but also have reported to have better quality of sleep.

3. You get a thermal work-out.

Funny enough, in a hot bath, you can actually lose quite a bit of fluid!

Sweating is an important part of exercise. Aside from cooling down, sweat burns calories and allows some metabolic wastes to be excreted from the body. However, a hot bath can do the same trick! In fact, people usually sweat a lot more in a bath than they ever do exercising due to their circulatory system working hard to cope with the heat. Just remember that anything you lose you must replenish, so drink lots of water after bathing!

4. Ease your sore muscles.

In case you don't see yourself skipping out on leg day any time soon, you can always enjoy a hot bath post-exercise.

A bath after working out is a great way to penetrate sore muscles and ease aches and pains. Applying heat to an inflamed area will reduce soreness and unwind tightened muscles. Consider using sea salt or Epsom salt in your bath, too; the product will reduce swelling and even calm your central nervous system.

5. It's an instant stress reliever.

Hot baths can trigger the release of endorphins, which we all know to be a chemical that brings forth positive vibes. Those feel-good feelings in return can battle anxiety, stress, and even depression. Elizabeth Scott for VeryWell suggests even incorporating meditation during bath time to experience ultimate zen.

So there you have it! Five perfectly great reasons why you should run yourself a bath and get to soaking. Between the heat, the alone time, and total relaxation, you're doing yourself, and you body, a great service.