5 Reasons What Doesn't Kill You Doesn't Make You Stronger

Strength and growth are the products of hardships and perseverance.

1964
Amy Ruschen

Before you start to think this is going to be full of negativity, wait. What doesn't kill you doesn't make you stronger. It makes you thankful, it challenges you, it makes you empathetic, it can help you grow as a person, and it lets you learn how to experience and appreciate life no matter how hard it can get.

There are times in life when you don't get what you want, and it seems like the worst possible circumstance. But have you ever stopped to think; maybe you didn't get what you want because something better is coming? The outcomes in each circumstance can lead you to moments to cherish, life experience, and possibly some of the best moments of your life. We have all heard the saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Well, no matter for cliche that phrase may be, it does hold some truth. Although, it also means so much more. It not only makes you stronger, it transforms you as a person. So, here are 5 reasons what doesn't kill you, DOESN'T just make you stronger.

1. You will learn to look back on awful circumstances and be thankful. No, life might not look the way you wanted - but there are still a lot of things to be thankful for. The good stuff might not outweigh the bad. Even if that is the case there are still good aspects of your life to be thankful for. You take the good, the bad, and the in-between and try to see the blessings in life. The hard times let you appreciate the good ones even more. You become overwhelmingly thankful for those "good" moments.

2. No, the situation at hand didn't "kill you" but in more ways than one it probably did challenge you. For example: My mom has a spinal cord injury, she is still here with us and awesome as ever, but that does not mean it has not been a challenge. The challenges she has faced are real and difficult. Or another example that I laugh at each time I think about: college students at the end of the semester always say "finals week is killing me." Even if it is not literally "killing" you, it is still a challenge. Speaking from personal experience, I know that it is a rough week with lack of sleep, lots of stress, little time to study, and even some all-nighters.. But we made it, we survived. We made it sound like a huge deal, but the challenges were well worth it. Hard work does pay off and the challenges before us can make us stronger. For my mom she is a stronger individual and an example to many. For us college students, the stu(dying) payed off when we saw those final grades and walked away from another semester of classes as stronger students.

3. Empathy. "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another." If you have been dealt some really rotten cards in life, chances are, so has someone else. Every struggle we face, challenge we deal with, and hardship that we are faced with contributes to the empathy we can have for others. If someone has been through a similar situation as me then I feel like we can connect and relate to each other. So, even if what doesn't kill you, doesn't make you stronger, or thankful, it might just give you the ability to be empathetic the next time someone you know is going through a rough time.

4. There is one thing that seems to accompany struggles no matter what. That is growth. Each day we grow as people, and each day we are presented with moments that allow us to grow. We are always changing and evolving and sometimes the rough situations force us to grow up a little bit faster or grow emotionally to be able to deal with everything. Sure everyone reacts differently to situations but we all grow in one way or another. What doesn't kill you, doesn't make you stronger - it presents opportunities of growth. Moments that seem to be the most challenging are full of raw emotion. Emotions that you might have not had to work through before such as, frustration, despair, anxiety, anger, etc. When faced with emotions in a whole new light you learn to cope. You learn to work through those emotions and grow as an individual.

5. The experience. What Doesn't kill you, doesn't make you stronger - it allows you to be fully invested in life. While you deal with the challenges life has thrown your way, life is still happening all around you. You are swept up in your surroundings, in the midst of the chaos, and taking it all in. Even though life can be unfair, down right awful, or devastating... it is still an experience. An experience that can mold you as an individual and help you learn a little bit about yourself.

If life didn't turn out how you thought it would and you think that nothing good can come out of the situation, just think about what you have gained from the experience, Find the silver lining - you might not realize it now but when you look back on some of the darkest times in your life, you will realize all the things you gained during your struggle. So, when someone says, " what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," remember that it not only makes you stronger; what doesn't kill you makes you more than strong - it makes you who you are. I lets you see the beauty in life, accept challenges head on, empathize with others, teach you about yourself, and embrace the mess around you. You made it through the worst parts and made it out alive. You made it through and gained so much without noticing. You made it through and you have a life to live, places to explore, love to share, and more journeys ahead of you.