5 Reasons To Keep In Touch With Your High School Friends

Yes, I still talk to my best friends. No, I'm not stuck in high school.

22
Mary Kate Paetow-Fanning

Going away to college and having to make new friends after already having established friend groups since freshmen year of high school, or even middle or elementary school, can be super intimidating. You're going to miss your friends from home and also be tasked with making new friends at school. There's such a stigma around being 'stuck in high school' after going away to college, but here are some reasons its a good thing to stay in touch with your high school friends.

They've been through it all with you already.

You've been through the terrible brace-face stages, horrible 15-year-old boy breakups, and are standing alongside each other in the awkward freshmen homecoming pictures. They were there for all the embarrassing middle school memories. Why not keep them around to reminisce?

They'll be around to catch up on the gossip from home.

No matter how much you think you won't and say you won't care about anyone from your dumb high school in your dumb hometown after graduation, you'll still care a little bit, and so will they. So, don't hesitate to shoot them an all caps text when you find out that your high schools "it-couple" who was so sure they'd make long-distance work finally calls it quits.

They feel like a little piece of home even if you're not there.

People are mobile. Towns and houses are not. Your high school friends can come visit you in college and give you that feeling of familiarity to cure the homesickness you will inevitably have. They can bring you a piece of home while you're away at school and make everything feel like you never even left your hometown.

They still will always have your back.

They know exactly what to do when you need a little cheering up. They'll always drop what they're doing and FaceTime you when you feel like your life at college is falling apart. Sometimes, they'll even offer to drive an hour from their school to yours just because girls are mean and you're having a bad day. (Thanks Meg!!)

No matter how much time has passed or how many miles are between you, everything will feel the same when you're together again.

Keeping up with people has its perks. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to talk to them non-stop everyday, but having a casual conversation when you have the time keeps you updated with each other's lives and reminds your friends that no matter what you're doing while you're apart from each other, you'll still always be there for them too.

So shout-outs to all of you who stayed in touch with their high school BFFs, and shoutout to mine for still voluntarily dealing with me.