5 Reasons Why You Should Go Greek On a Small Campus

You always see those sappy posts from sorority girls about why you should go Greek, but why is it better on smaller campuses?

19

1. You can form a personal relationship with all of your sisters.

On bigger campuses that have hundreds of girls in each sorority, it is much harder to get to know your sisters on a personal level. On a smaller campus, you get to know the name, favorite junk food, and biggest secret of every sister in the first month. It makes for a much closer bond of sisterhood.

2. There will always be a sister around to back you up.

Since you attend a smaller university, there will probably be more well known drama flowing through the campus conversations. And when you get caught up in it, it's always good to have someone you know close by to stick up for you. Rather that be vouching for or taking a (metaphorical of course) punch for you.

3. It is easier to get involved in other campus activities.

Now I'm not saying it's nepotism. (Which means someone you know gives you the job because of your relationship, not based on your actual qualifications.) But really when all your sisters are in charge of every club and activity, it makes it much easier during those interviews and applications because you know your sister will pick you. Because she knows your personal qualifications that others may not from just one interview.

4. You need friends.

There are so many amazing things about attending a smaller university, but one of the drawbacks is that there are less fish in the ocean AKA friends to choose from. Having a good group of college friends is vital to your academic success. You need good friends to be there for you when you fail a test, when your professor is being annoying, or when you're dealing with family issues. And your sisters will be those friends. They will always be there for you.

5. It gives you so many leadership opportunities that will prepare you for life.

If you don't know how a sorority works, there are typically executive board positions and chairmen positions. My sorority in particular has about 30 leadership positions overall. This is an amazing opportunity to learn how to be a good leader in so many different ways. Are you the type to be Social Chair or President? Communications or Philanthropy? Having the opportunity to figure out what leadership positions and qualities you're good at and what you enjoy so early on in life will help you be more successful in your future careers. Knowing that you love to help people through your Philanthropy Chair position may help you figure out that you want to major in psychology and be a counselor or run a non profit. You never know what will help you find your passion!

So don't let small campus life or Greek life on a smaller campus scare you. I encourage you to go through recruitment and see if you find a home! Let me know how it goes.