5 Reasons Why Therapy Was My Saving Grace

Yes, therapy works. Shocking, I know.

446
Unsplash

If you are one of those people who doesn't believe that therapy can work or that it is only for crazy people, don't worry, you aren't alone. I was also at that point once in my life; refused to go to therapy and believed that it a was just a waste of money. Truthfully, therapy works so well that it is usually pretty challenging to find a therapist taking in patients because of how many patients they are seeing.

I am so glad that things have changed and I believe in it now because it has become my biggest saving grace in my life for the following five reasons:

1. It taught me a lot about myself

I have had depression since at least high school. That's at least around the time that it got really bad and I was able to recognize it. My junior year, the guidance counselor found out, told my parents and I told them I was fine and I didn't want therapy and that was the end of that for four years till my parents had to drive to Fort Myers in September of my junior year of college because I had attempted and the doctors didn't think I was gonna make it. Through therapy, I have learned that I am a hell of a lot stronger than my mind wants me to think. I am worth something wonderful and I deserve the world, so are all of you.

2. It gave me ways to cope with my anxiety

My therapist gave me ways to cope with my anxiety when it gets really bad and I have an anxiety attack. I've learned ways to calm myself down and come back to the present through coping mechanisms. I no longer have to phone a friend because I'm sitting on my bedroom floor hyperventilating and crying. I now have the skills to help myself.

3. It gave me someone to confide in

I only ever had one super close friend that I told everything to. He is my best friend. Unfortunately about two and a half years ago I started dating this kid who didn't like him, didn't like me talking to him or seeing him. So because of this, I lost my biggest support, even if he didn't always know what to say he always listened and sometimes I just needed to rant. Well, now I have my therapist who I don't see often and I'm always able to say whatever I need to, to him. It's always nice to have someone to confide in.

4. It taught me about my mental health and ways to function with it

Through therapy, I learned that having a mental illness is a kinda normal thing. Many people suffer from different types and it's okay and it's possible to function with it. I learned some ways to function with it, I learned that most of the thoughts in my head aren't irrational and my feelings are valid. That is the most important thing I have learned in therapy! Your feelings are valid, no one can tell you otherwise.

5. It taught me to have healthy relationships

I have always been terrible at relationships. I get attached way too fast and that's usually not a good thing. I become extremely codependent and that's not healthy. Through therapy, I have learned how to better communicate with my significant other, which is helping me have a healthy relationship. I tell him everything, I don't want to hide things from him. For me, I had to learn to not trust right off the bat. I learned that they need to earn my trust.

I believe that everyone can benefit from therapy because it's nice to grow a bond with someone who you can fully trust and know that they have your back. Therapists believe in you and want to help you be a better you.

I can honestly say that therapy saved me.