5 Reasons Why Pam And Jim Have The Best Love Story Ever

One of the best love stories takes place between two average people in a boring office.

271
"The Office" / NBC

There are a lot of great love stories out there. A lot of them share the same story. Strangers meeting and instantly falling for each other. Lovers fighting against the odds to be together. But the best one is about two average people working in an office. And not even a fancy one.

Here's why Pam and Jim from "The Office" are the best and most relatable couple in a TV show.

1. They’re real.

What could make a couple more boringly average than working in a bland office space? Nothing. But it turns out it’s the perfect setting for a love story. Pam and Jim dress like normal people. Act like normal people. And do normal things. No fancy getaways or expensive ball gowns. No fairytale-like romance. Just two people who happen to work together, slowly falling deeper in love with each other.

2. They know when to laugh.

One of the best parts of the show is just the sheer silliness of it all. Everything is just normal human interaction ramped up to the extreme. And it’s hilarious. Jim and Pam are at the center of all of this. Jim’s constant pranks and attempts to make the mundane office life slightly more enjoyable keep things interesting. And it only gets better whenever Pam conspires with him to mess with Dwight or jump into whatever plan Jim’s come up with. If there is one thing that makes a relationship enjoyable and relatable to watch, it’s a couple that loves to laugh.

3. They fight.

We all know from the get-go that Pam and Jim are perfect for each other and meant to spend the rest of their lives together, but this doesn’t mean that their relationship is easy. From the beginning, the odds are against them. Pam thinks she’s with the guy she’s supposed to marry when we all know he’s a dumb-dumb who isn’t good enough for her. Jim is hopelessly in love with her, but being the good guy that he is, he doesn’t do anything about it.

Fast forward to later in the show when they are finally married and making babies and things start to get bumpy again. Jim is trying to follow his passion and move on from this job he never meant to have longer than a couple of years and Pam is trying to cope with never realizing her dreams of becoming an artist while simultaneously becoming a mom. Tensions are high, understandably. It gets to a point that we’re reaching for the tissues, afraid to see what happens next, while they start to head to the brink of a relationship collapse. They’re hardly speaking to each other. Miles away from the Pam and Jim we know and love. But then Pam does something so great. She tells him that she wants to fight. And Jim says something that sounds like the Jim we love. Things aren’t good, but we know that they're going to fight each other to fight for their love. It doesn’t get more real and raw than that.

4. They support each other.

Like any couple, they both have dreams of growing together and sharing their lives, but they still each have unique ambitions of their own. This creates tension between them as it does for all couples, but they handle it with unconditional love and support for each other. We watch as Jim encourages Pam to pursue her artistic passions by taking classes at Pratt while Pam encourages Jim to do more than work as a salesman at the office. Even when it’s hard they support the other. They just want each other to be happy.

5. They’re friends.

I think we can all agree that relationships work the best, and really only work if the person you’re with is your friend. Pam and Jim have been best friends since the second they met it seems like. And their friendship only grows stronger as the romance between them grows. The fact that they were friends who slowly became a couple and not just two strangers who mysteriously fell in love makes them so much more relatable and fun to watch. The funny/adorable dynamic that they have between them only exists because they’re friends first and foremost.