5 Reasons Why I Love Having Siblings

5 Reasons Why I Love Having Siblings

They're the biggest pains, but your biggest support systems at the same time.

51
5 Reasons Why I Love Having Siblings
Casey Schieda

As a middle child of four, I have learned a lot through my 19 years. I love my two brothers and my sister, but there is no doubt that we have fought over the years. Despite the quarrels and tattling, I could never imagine growing up without them.

1. Sharing a room is a blessing in disguise.

My younger sister and I are six years apart, so we have our differences in tastes when it comes to clothes, TV shows and music. However, we had to share a room for most of our lives. At times, it was the most annoying thing ever because she was so much younger than me and we always fought. But, as we got older and started to realize how similar we were, we enjoyed it. And when we got our own rooms, we secretly missed each other. Having a “roommate” for all of those years really helped me adapt to having a roommate in college because their mess is your mess, and you pretty much have to compromise on everything. But it's cool to always have someone right by your side.

2. Everything is a competition.

Whether it’s a competition between who can lose the most teeth first, who can get more hits in their softball or baseball game, or who has a better report card, everything between your siblings is a competition. It has taught me to always strive to be my best and be driven to out work with people, even if they are my brothers and sister.

3. Compromise is inevitable.

Choosing what to have for dinner is always a task with a family of six. My parents usually leave it up to the four kids, but we can never all agree on one thing. Through these silly arguments, I learned how to persuade people to agree with me, but also that you have to pick and choose your battles sometimes.

4. Nothing is ever just your own.

If there is one thing I have learned from my brothers and sister over the years, it's that you are guaranteed to share everything. You think that water gun your mom bought you is yours only? Wrong. You always have to give your siblings a turn. It has taught me to never be selfish and all relationships are give and take.

5. No one has your back like your siblings.

Family always comes first in my house. My siblings and I may fight with each other, but if one of us is upset or hurt, we are the first ones to take care of each other, no matter what. We truly love each other unconditionally.