5 Reasons To Join FBLA

5 Reasons To Join FBLA

Future Business Leaders of America: an organization dedicated to helping students connect, explore, discover, achieve, and inspire.

7697
5 Reasons To Join FBLA
Joe Wilkins

Future Business Leaders of America, or FBLA, is a national organization dedicated to promoting leadership and the pursuit of business among students across the nation, providing them with all of the necessary tools and resources to pursue business related careers. FBLA offers students the opportunity to gain experience that cannot be obtained inside the classroom through events that educate and expose students to a realistic portrayal of being part of today's workforce. FBLA currently consists of over 250,000 student members across the nation as well as members from the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, and even as far a country as China.

What makes FBLA stand out, however, is that although it stands for Future Business Leaders of America, it is not just for aspiring leaders. In fact, it has something for everyone. FBLA covers a wide range of topics, from emerging business issues to digital video production, and teaches vital skills that are not exclusive to business, but rather those that are essential to almost every aspect of life- including human relations, proactivity, and smart decision-making. Not only that, but FBLA is all about meeting new people and making new friends. Participating in engaging workshops and attending dynamic presentations with equally eager and energetic members is bound to be amazing. If you aren’t convinced to join yet, here are five main reasons to join FBLA.

1. Connect

FBLA is all about connections- connections between and among students and business leaders not only within a community, but also across the nation and even internationally. It connects students with similar interests and goals, and more importantly, those that share a passion. FBLA also encourages pursuing outside-of-the-classroom experiences such as internships and opportunities to talk with experts in various professions. It also encourages community service through which members have the opportunity to connect with their immediate societies and show their appreciation. Participation in nationwide projects such as March of Dimes or Walk for Babies are just a few examples of such community service.

Furthermore, through FBLA’s competitions, students within a school, state, region, and eventually a whole nation are brought together to share ideas and come to know one another. Along with such an experience is the important concept of networking: expanding your range of contacts and in turn friends, potential business partners and allies. As success is not something that can be achieved by yourself but rather by the help of others, networking is key to extending opportunities and expanding your horizons. FBLA gives you the platform and opportunities to do so.

2. Achieve

FBLA offers numerous opportunities to succeed through a series of awards, scholarships, and competitions. These include the Business Achievement Awards (BAA), Community Service Awards (CSA), and competitive events at the National Leadership Conference (NLC). FBLA also offers many leadership positions in state, region, and national offices. As you prepare for these events and positions, not only do you achieve recognition and acknowledgment, but also vital skills and knowledge relating to aspects of business that interest you. Achieving these awards and succeeding in such competitive events require skills ranging from effective communication to organization to time management, all of which are not only vital business skills but also important life skills.

3. Explore

Through FBLA, you can explore new business topics, concepts, and ideas. Through seminars given by keynote speakers, workshops held by business leaders, and conferences attended by thousands of students, you are exposed to ideas you were previously oblivious to and are encouraged to try things you have never done before. These can include assuming a leadership position in your local chapter, internships, part time jobs, job shadowing, or even starting up a non-profit organization. The possiblities are endless, but they hold no value if you don't explore them.

4. Discover

FBLA allows you to discover a lot about business as a whole, especially through its numerous seminars, workshops, and conferences. It also allows you to discover a lot about yourself- your passions and interests, strengths and weaknesses, talents and aptitudes. Even if you think you know all there is to know about yourself, there might be a business topic you have never heard of before or have tended to stay away from only because you thought it wasn't for you. In an organization as diverse as FBLA, there are always chances to try something new and perhaps discover a passion for something you never thought possible. And of course, there's always room for improvement in respect to any skill as well as useful business tips to pick up on. You can also discover more about the workplace and the many issues that you are bound to face: loads of stress, disappointments and failures, and the realization that those very issues are inevitable obstacles in the way to success.

5. Inspire

What makes a great leader is his or her ability to inspire others to reach a common goal. Through FBLA, you can become such a leader as well as a role model to those around you. FBLA is full of inspirational figures, including keynote speakers and your local advisor, who work hard to ensure students get the most out of FBLA and emerge as better leaders as well as better individuals. Eventually, you can become a leader yourself, inspiring others to join and helping others connect, explore, discover and achieve. As a leader, you can assist in implementing additional programs to improve a member's experience in FBLA and help him or her get the most out of it. As a leader, you can share your experiences and make a difference in the lives of many more students by preparing them for and helping them attain their desired future careers. As a leader, you can inspire others to follow your example in community service, leadership, passion and hard work.

FBLA is an organization through which these five elements can carry on throughout your life and career. The connections you make through FBLA can last a lifetime and may even help you in your future business endeavors. The topics you explore can be revisited to an even greater depth as a career or skill set. The discoveries you make about your passions and interests can prepare you for your future and help you determine your future goals. The achievements you obtain hold value that can attest to your character and mastery of important business techniques. The legacy you leave behind inspires others to connect, explore, discover, and achieve just as you have. FBLA serves as the perfect platform from which to build yourself upon and emerge as an improved individual and a quality business leader.