5 Reasons It’s OK To Work A 'Basic' Job After Graduating From College

Whether you are a barista at your local coffee shop, a cashier at a store or an employee at the summer waterpark, you are still gaining experience.

48
Kuow.org

It’s almost impossible to have life figured out after college. (Hats off to those who secured their dream job and a new place to live only days after graduation.) Searching and applying for jobs after college is a tough task that takes a lot of time. Friends have mentioned they sent an average of 75-100 job applications until they finally landed a job. So in the mean time, having a “basic” job after graduation has its perks.

1. It takes time to achieve your dream.

While it would be ideal to land the perfect job right after college, it takes time for many recent graduates to get the job related to our career dreams. Success doesn’t happen overnight, and keeping our dreams alive is vital to who we want to be. Chances are that college tuition was pretty expensive, and we don’t intend for our student loans to not be worth it. But in the meantime, having a regular job is just a stepping stone to our career path.

2. You are being responsible for having a job and getting some income in the first place.

With no longer having a meal plan or living on campus, graduates have bills to pay, food to buy, tuition loans to worry about (six-months goes by quick), and, of course, some money set aside for emergencies or a fun night out with friends. They say money can’t buy happiness, but it sure does prevent late payment fees and a hungry stomach. Even if it is minimum wage, having some type of income is better than not having any income at all.

3. It is still some type of experience.

Whether you are a barista at your local coffee shop, a cashier at a store or an employee at the summer waterpark, you are still receiving interpersonal experience and gaining skills in your respective position. Learning how to work with difficult people or putting on a smile in front of a cranky customer can teach a person a lot of patience and professionalism. From the time of the interview until the day the two-weeks notice is sent, graduates can learn a lot about working in a team and in a professional atmosphere. Future employers will value some experience compared to not having any experience.

4. You’re choosing to do something with your life.

After long nights of homework in college and early classes, not much sounds better than sleeping in, staying out late and just having fun after graduating. Some people can do that, but many can’t (see reason No. 2). While working a “basic” job, you're choosing to not be a couch potato because you're waiting for your days off for that. You are choosing to take some responsibility for your life and making adult decisions.

5. Working an everyday job should not be a discouragement, it should be a motivation.

Whether there are worries of never finding a better job or murmurs from family members shocked you spent a lot of money for your degree and don’t have a career yet, it can be easy to get discouraged. Working an everyday job also gives us time to apply for the better job that we want.

As long as the hopes and dreams of the future still burn bright, we will never be stuck, we will continue to work hard and we will build a career.